The MACC Foster Program seeks to provide supplemental care to animals with special needs, decrease euthanasia of animals, increase animal adoptions, and increase the community’s involvement in caring for the community’s animals. The ultimate goal of the foster care program is find a permanent home for the foster animal.
Animals’ Participation in the Foster Program
Potential foster animals are initially processed according to MACC intake procedures. Each animal at least six months of age will be tested for heartworms or FELV/FIV and given vaccines, in accordance with regular intake protocol.
Animals will be selected for participation in the Foster Program based on a holistic assessment of the animal and its needs (including known medical and behavioral conditions), the available Fosters and associated resources, MACC’s capacity and resources, and other animals in need.
An animal will not be considered for volunteer foster care if the animal:
- Represents a threat to public health or safety; or,
- Has prognosis of poor quality of life, such as chronic pain and suffering.
Requirements for Volunteer Fosters
To become and remain a Volunteer Foster, a volunteer must:
- Submit a completed MACC Foster Application. To receive a foster application email Foster.MACC@nashville.gov.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Show proper photo identification (if driver’s license does not reflect current address, must provide a bill /lease with current address).
- Reside in Davidson County.
- Be able to provide a safe, loving, and stable environment for the foster animal.
- Be able to transport the foster animal to and from MACC during normal MACC business hours.
- Complete an interview with the Foster Coordinator.
- If applicable, provide proof that their landlord allows such companion animals.
- Provide proof that all dogs and cats living at or visiting the residence have been properly vaccinated for:
DOGS – Distemper, Parvo, Kennel Cough, and Rabies
CATS – FVRCP and Rabies
- Be approved by the Foster Coordinator.
- Be able and willing to satisfy, and actually adhere to, all terms and conditions of the Application, all policies and procedures outlined in the Foster Orientation, and all guidelines of this Policy.