Neighborhood Conservation Zoning District
The area known today as Greenwood was largely developed from 1880 to the early 1940s. Most of the area was located on land that was owned by John Hobson, an early settler, farmer, and land speculator. When Hobson died in 1836, the circuit court divided his estate into 10 tracts, which were developed as large homesteads or estates. By the late 19th century many of those estates were further subdivided and developed into building lots that fit into the city’s expanding street grid.
Evalina Hobson, John Hobson’s daughter, received one of the tracts of property from her father’s estate that still stands at 1001 Granada Avenue, the oldest remaining structure in the neighborhood, known today as ‘Look away’.
The area consists of a broad range of architectural style including the Greek Revival, Queen Anne, Folk, Craftsman, Bungalow, American Four Square, and Tudor styles.