The following properties have been designated as Individual Historic Landmarks. Any new construction including additions, demolition, relocation of the structure, or renovation of the designated structures is reviewed by the MHZC prior to beginning the project.
The MHZC and Metro Council began to designate individual Historic Landmarks in July 1989.
21ST AVENUE SOUTH FIREHALL - The fire hall, located at 2219 21st Avenue, South, was constructed on property acquired by the city of Nashville on July 16, 1929, and was completed in 1930. The building was built in the Tudor Revival style popular in the adjoining neighborhoods. It is the second oldest fire hall in Nashville remaining in its original use. Designated 7/24/1999; Ordinance No. 099-1698
AIRDRIE - Located at 3210 Avenal Avenue, Airdrie is also known as the Buell-King or Petway House. Airdrie was constructed in the early 1800s as a two story log house. In 1910, Nashville architect George Norton renovated the house and gardens into the Classical Revival style it retains today. Several outbuildings associated with the original estate, including a barn and log cabin, are still maintained. Designated 9/25/2004; Ordinance No. BL2004-332
CAMERON MIDDLE SCHOOL - Located at 1034 First Avenue South, the school was constructed with PWA funding support in 1939-40 and is important for its local significance in African-American social history. Cameron played a central community role for South Nashville’s African-American population. The original school building is a Late Gothic Revival design by Nashville architect Henry C. Hibbs. McKissack and McKissack designed a large 1954 addition that accompanied the school’s transition to a high school curriculum. Designated 5/21/2005; Ordinance No. BL2005-606
CARNEGIE - EAST BRANCH LIBRARY: The Carnegie - East Branch Library was designed by New York architect Albert R. Ross and built in 1919. The library was designed in the Beaux Arts style and constructed with a cut limestone exterior. The East Branch Library was one of four public libraries built in Nashville using funds donated by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, of which only two remain. Designated 7/24/1999; Ordinance No. 099-1698
CARNEGIE - NORTH BRANCH LIBRARY: The Carnegie - North Branch Library was designed by Nashville architect C. K. Colley in the Classical Revival style and built in 1915. This brick building was one of four public libraries built in Nashville using funds donated by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, of which only two remain. Designated 7/24/1999; Ordinance No. 099-1698
CROFT HOUSE - Located at 3725 Nolensville Road, the Croft House was built ca. 1815 by Michael C. Dunn, the Croft House was constructed in Federal style and altered with the addition of Italianate features beginning in 1875. It has remained unaltered since the 1880s. The house remained in the family until the deaths of sisters Margaret and Elise Croft in 1974 and 1985 respectively. The Croft sisters deeded their property, including the house, to the Children's Museum of Nashville with the stipulation that they be allowed to stay on the property for the remainder of their lives. Following Elise Croft's death in 1985, the Museum began development of the "Grassmere Nature Center". The Croft House is now leased to the Wildlife Park at Grassmere and is owned by the Metropolitan Government. The house, its surrounding outbuildings and grounds comprise the landmark district. Designated 7/24/1999; Ordinance No. 099-1698
CUSTOMS HOUSE - Located at 701 Broadway, the construction of the Customs House began in 1875. President Rutherford B. Hayes visited Nashville to lay the cornerstone in 1877. The building is an impressive example of the Victorian Gothic style designed by Treasury architect William Appleton Potter and constructed in four sections. It was completed in 1916. Building ownership was transferred from the federal government to Metro Government in 1979, and the building was subsequently leased for redevelopment. Designated 7/24/1999; Ordinance No. 099-1698
DAVIDSON COUNTY COURTHOUSE - Designed by Frederick Hirons of New York and Emmons Woolwine of Nashville, the Davidson County Courthouse was the subject of an architectural competition. Its construction in the 1930s was supported by funding from the Public Works Administration, and the building is an example of the PWA Modern style characteristic of many public buildings of the New Deal period. Art Deco details and murals by artist Dean Cornwell are found inside. The Davidson County Courthouse has remained in municipal government use throughout its history. Designated 7/24/1999; Ordinance No. 099-1698
EAKIN SCHOOL & CAVERT SCHOOL BUILDINGS - Cavert School was built in 1928 as a two-story brick elementary school to alleviate overcrowding in the public schools of west Nashville. Eakin School was built in 1936. Its square Doric classical colonnade and courtyard create an impressive entrance; it is an excellent example of PWA Modern style and one of Nashville’s early New Deal projects. Both were designed and built by the Nashville firm of Tisdale and Pinson. Designated 4/7/2001; Ordinance No. BL2001-607
EAST LITERATURE MAGNET MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOLS - Located at 110 Gallatin Road, the former East High School building was completed in the 1932. Designed by Marr and Holman, a prominent Nashville architectural firm of the time, the building exhibits Art Deco stylistic characteristics. The former East Junior High School was completed in 1937 and designed by George Waller. It was part of the first phase of a large school construction project undertaken by the city with the aid of the Public Works Administration funds. The four story building exhibits Art Deco and Classical Revival details. The earliest building on the campus is the Gillespie-Malone house, which was moved from its original site fronting Gallatin Road to its present location to make way for the construction of East High in 1931. The house was constructed in 1915 in the Classical Revival style and clad in limestone. Designated 7/30/2004; Ordinance No. BL2004-280
FEHR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AND THE WARNER HOUSE – The Fehr Elementary School, located at 1622 5th Avenue North, is important because of its association with the Civil Rights Movement in Nashville. The adjoining Warner House, located at 1612 4th Avenue North, was listed as a good example of late 19th century architecture. It is among the oldest remaining homes in the Salemtown neighborhood that has not been greatly altered. Designated 11/21/12 ; Ordinance No. BL2012-263
FIRE HALL FOR ENGINE COMPANY No. 18 - Located at 1220 Gallatin Avenue. This fire hall, built c.1930, has experienced little physical change in approximately 75 years.
This fire station was conveniently located along a major road serving areas that were seeing widespread suburban home construction in the 1920s and 30s. Fire stations are representative of suburban growth and the expansion of cities since they are one important way the city of Nashville provided services to its newly annexed neighborhoods. Designated 5/22/2006; Ordinance No. BL2006-1032
FORT NEGLEY - Located at 1100 Fort Negley Boulevard and located on top of St. Cloud Hill, Fort Negley was built in 1862 by the Union army as part of a chain of fortifications surrounding the city during its two-year occupation. The fort was built by slaves and free blacks of stone, logs, earth, and railway iron. Abandoned after the war, the fort was partially reconstructed during the 1930s as part of a WPA project and opened to the public. Closed by the city in 1945 due to its poor condition, the fort was stabilized and reopened with interpretation as a ruin in 2004. Designated 5/21/2005; Ordinance No. BL2005-604
THE HERMITAGE - Located at 4580 Rachel's Lane. Andrew Jackson was the first President not to come from aristocracy. Despite his ordinary heritage, he built The Hermitage in Nashville, a stunning Ante-bellum plantation now restored as a museum dedicated to Old Hickory. In addition to revolving exhibits, a film on the history of the President and costumed tour guides, visitors will certainly want to see the first Hermitage cabins, where the former penniless orphan and future political leader and his beloved wife, Rachel, lived before achieving financial and political stability.
Designed in the Greek Revival style, The Hermitage was erected in 1819. Rachel died in 1828 and was buried in the Hermitage gardens on the east side of the home. Shortly after her death, Jackson was inaugurated the seventh president of the United States and served two terms. In 1834, while he was in Washington, the Hermitage was severely damaged by fire. In 1837, Jackson had the house rebuilt with the front of the home was painted white to conceal the smoke that blackened the bricks. Jackson died in 1845 and was buried in the gardens next to his beloved Rachel.
Today, The Hermitage is one of the most popular attractions in Nashville. It has been meticulously furnished just as it was in 1836 during President Jackson's retirement. Designated 8/20/2008; Ordinance No. BL2008-273
HOLLY STREET FIRE HALL - Located at 1600 Holly Street, the fire hall was designed by Nashville's first municipal architect, James Yeaman, and was completed in 1914. The red brick neoclassical style building harmonizes with the surrounding residential neighborhood and was the city's first built to house motorized fire vehicles. The Holly Street Fire Hall has been continuously used as a fire hall since its construction. Designated 7/24/1999; Ordinance No. 099-1698
HUME FOGG MAGNET SCHOOL - Located at 700 Broadway, Hume-Fogg Magnet School sits on land formerly occupied by Hume School, (1855), Nashville’s first public school, and Fogg High School (1875). These two schools were demolished to make way for the present building, completed in 1912. The four story, stone clad building was designed by William Ittner of St. Louis in the Norman Gothic style with Tudor Gothic details. The original Gothic style, multi-light windows have been replaced except within the central bay on the façade. Designated 7/30/2004; Ordinance No. BL2004-280
IDLEWILD - Located at 712 Neeleys Bend Road and also known as the Robert Chadwell House, Idlewild was built ca. 1874 and is an outstanding example of Italianate architecture. Its construction illustrates the Italian Villa style in a farmhouse. Italianate detailing was not often favored for rural farm house construction but is more often encountered in urban settings. In that respect Idlewild is unique in Davidson County. Designated 3/22/1990; Ordinance No. 090-1109)
LINDSLEY HALL - Located at 724 2nd Avenue South, Nashville architect Adolphus Heiman designed this 1853 Collegiate Gothic Revival style structure, the only surviving building from the University of Nashville. Originally used for classrooms and a chapel, Lindsley Hall was the home of the Nashville Children’s Museum from 1944-73 and now houses Metro offices. Its present name honors Dr. Philip Lindsley and his son, Dr. John Berrien Lindsley, who served as presidents of the university. Designated 11/19/2004; Ordinance No. BL2004-406
LOCUST HILL - Located at 834 Reeves Road, this house, also known as the Hays - Kiser House, was built by Benjamin D. Wills ca. 1805 and acquired soon after by Charles Hays (1777 - 1854), a prosperous farmer, founder of the Baptist Church at Antioch, and generous benefactor of the community. The house is one of few surviving buildings from Nashville’s first quarter century of settlement. It embodies the distinctive characteristics of Federal style architecture. Locust Hill is unique as an architecturally sophisticated frontier house with outstanding quality craftsmanship. Designated 5/22/1989; Ordinance No. 089-697
MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. MAGNET SCHOOL - Located at 613 17th Avenue North and formerly Pearl High School, the original portion of this Art Deco building was completed in 1937 and designed by the prominent African-American architectural firm of McKissack and McKissack. For many years Nashville’s only high school for black students, Pearl is significant as a community anchor for African Americans during segregation. The school was a project of the Public Works Administration (PWA) and maintains a high degree of architectural integrity with replacement windows and doors representing the only significant changes to the façade. Additions to the original structure include a vocational building (1945) and gymnasium (1964). Designated 7/30/2004; Ordinance No. BL2004-280
MCGAVOCK-HARRIS-GATEWOOD-WEBB HOUSE - Located at 908 and 914 Meridian Street. Residential structure built as a McGavock family home in the 1840s with additions in the 1870s and 1910s. Constructed by James McGavock’s (1791-1841) daughter, Lucinda McGavock Harris and her husband George Harris, the house is the oldest residence on a 640 acre tract first deeded to David McGavock, James’ father, in 1786. Originally facing south, the house was renovated in the 1870s to face east to Meridian Street when the greater parcel was subdivided into smaller parcels for residential development. The P.A.L. House, located at 914 Meridian Street, used as a community meeting space for the neighborhood, was previously used by the Police Athletic League, which works to involve police officers as coaches and mentors for troubled youth. The P.A.L. House is adjacent to 908 Meridian and was a part of the McGavock estate before being subdivided as a separate parcel in 1905. This house is a large buff-colored brick bungalow that appears to date to c.1910 and was constructed by John J. Keyes, superintendent of Public Schools for Nashville. This is an intact example of the bungalow form and a transition to Craftsman style from a Classical Revival aesthetic. Designated 5/22/2006; Ordinance No. BL2006-1034
NASHVILLE CITY CEMETERY - Located at 1001 4th Avenue South and opened in 1822 as a city-owned public cemetery, the Old City Cemetery is the burial place of more than 22,000 people, including James Robertson and his family; William Driver, the U. S. Navy captain who named the flag “Old Glory”; Mabel Lewis Imes and Ella Sheppard, members of the original Fisk Jubilee Singers; Brigadier General Felix Zollicoffer, first Confederate officer killed in the West in the Civil War; William Carroll, governor of Tennessee; and fourteen Nashville mayors. Designated 11/19/2004; Ordinance No. BL2004-406. Visit Nashville City Cemetery website
NASHVILLE CITY RESERVOIR - Located at 1401 8th Avenue South and built between 1887 and 1889, the Reservoir is an elliptical masonry structure with a holding capacity of slightly more than 51 million gallons in two sections. In 1912, the southeast wall broke, pouring 25 million gallons toward the fair grounds. There was property damage, but no lives were lost. The gate house visible from nearby streets and highways contains the valves that control the flow of water from one side of the reservoir to the other. Designated 11/19/2004; Ordinance No. BL2004-406
OMOHUNDRO WATER SYSTEM - The Omohundro Water Filtration Complex, located at 1400 Pumping Station Road and begun in 1888, was the first step in a plan to improve Nashville’s waterworks system at the end of the nineteenth century. The complex consists of an intake device in the Cumberland River as well as brick buildings on shore which pump and temporarily store the water. The oldest structure, the pumping station, was completed in 1889; the filtration plant was built in the 1920s and has had several sensitive additions. The interior of the filtration plant is of special interest, with parallel brick arcades, a diamond-patterned terrazzo tile floor, and marble control stations. The complex is still in use, pumping ninety million gallons a day throughout the county. Designated 11/19/2004; Ordinance No. BL2004-406
SHELBY STREET BRIDGE - Built from 1907-09 as the Sparkman Street Bridge, this bridge connected downtown to the residential suburbs of east Nashville. Howard Jones, a railroad engineer, was employed by the county as its designer and construction supervisor. The concrete bow-string trusses he designed at the west end of the structure were an engineering rarity. The bridge closed to automobile traffic in 1998 and reopened for pedestrian use in August 2003, providing outstanding views of the river and the downtown skyline. Designated 11/19/2004; Ordinance No. BL2004-406
SMITH FARMHOUSE - Located at 8600 Highway 100, this property, of which approximately 1.6 acres are designated as a historic landmark district, contains a farmhouse begun ca. 1815 and associated outbuildings. The farmhouse derives its significance from association with the Smith family, rural Davidson County merchants who operated country stores in the communities of Pasquo, Una, and Brush Creek for over 170 years. The house is an outstanding example of a traditional farmhouse in rural Davidson County and is unique in its illustration of evolving architectural influences, from early Tennessee log construction to later Victorian and Bungalow periods. Designated 9/20/1989; Ordinance No. 089-919
SUNNYSIDE - Located at 3000 Granny White Pike, this Greek revival house was home to Mary Childress Benton, the widow of Jesse Benton, who left Nashville after a famous feud with Andrew Jackson in 1813. She acquired the approximately 40-acre farm in 1852 and built this house. Sunnyside (so named by Mrs. Benton’s great-niece for its open and bright location) stood between Confederate and Union lines during the Battle of Nashville in 1864. A twentieth century owner, Granville Sevier, added brick wings to the house and built the stone office; his heirs sold the property to the city of Nashville after his death in 1945. Designated 11/19/2004; Ordinance No. BL2004-406
THE PARTHENON - Located at 2600 West End Avenue, the first Parthenon replica in Nashville was constructed to serve as the fine arts pavilion and centerpiece for the Tennessee Centennial and International Exposition in 1897. The replica was allowed to remain after the close of the exposition due to its popularity with the citizens of Nashville. The Parthenon was rebuilt between 1921 and 1931 using reinforced concrete and was repaired and restored again during the 1990s. The Parthenon and Centennial Park comprise the historic landmark district. Designated 7/24/1999; Ordinance No. 099-1698
TWO RIVERS MANSION - Located at 3130 McGavock Pike and also known as the David H. McGavock House, Two Rivers Mansion was constructed in 1859. The mansion is one of the earliest, most significant, and best preserved of the early Italianate style houses in Middle Tennessee. The house is the second house to be erected on the Two Rivers Farm, so named because of its position at the junction of the Stones and Cumberland rivers. The earlier house also remains and with the mansion and adjacent grounds comprises the landmark district. Designated 7/24/1999; Ordinance No. 099-1698
UNION STATION - Located at 1001 10th Avenue South, Nashville's Union Station was designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style and completed in 1900. The station's architect, Richard Montfort, served as chief engineer of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. Union Station was acquired from the railroad by the Federal Government and subsequently transferred to the ownership of the Metro Government and leased for redevelopment as a hotel. Designated 7/24/1999; Ordinance No. 099-1698
WARNER PARKS - The Warner Parks historic landmark district is comprised of the historic elements found in the park. The Warner Parks consist of acreage acquired by the Nashville Board of Parks Commissioners under the direction of Percy Warner and Edwin Warner between 1927 and 1931. The parks contain many man-made landscape and architectural features built to blend with and accentuate the natural environment. Many features were constructed using Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds and workers during the 1930s and early 1940s. Designated 7/24/1999; Ordinance No. 099-1698
WEST END MIDDLE SCHOOL - Located at 3529 West End Avenue and formerly West End High School, the building was completed in 1937. Designed by Donald Southgate, a prominent Nashville architect of the time, the school exhibits Colonial Revival and Georgian Revival stylistic characteristics. The three story building, following a typical progressive “T” shaped plan, is constructed of red brick veneer and stone and topped by a clock tower supporting a copper dome. The school is significant as one of three new high schools designed to serve Nashville’s growing population built during the 1930s with PWA funds. A gymnasium was added in 1964 to the east side of the main building. Also located on the campus is a 1938-42 football field and stadium. Designated 7/30/2004; Ordinance No. BL2004-280
WPA MUNICIPAL GARAGE AT ROLLING MILL HILL - Constructed in the 1930s, the municipal garage consist of seven, one story brick buildings that were laid out in an orthogonal grid. The buildings reflect the major investment in city infrastructure made by public works building projects of the Depression era. The structures retain a high degree of physical integrity, including bowed steel truss roof systems, original metal frame windows, stepped parapet rooflines, and decorative brick detailing. Designated 11/19/2004; Ordinance No. BL2004-406