Neighborhood Conservation Zoning District
Maxwell Heights is a Neighborhood Conservation Zoning Overlay district. Any new construction including additions, demolitions, or relocation of structures is reviewed by the MHZC prior to beginning the project.
Much of the area known as Maxwell Heights today was a part of the city of Edgefield and was located on land that was originally a part of a land grant made by the State of North Carolina to James Shaw in return for his services in the Revolutionary War.
By mid-1860s the largest landowner in the Maxwell Heights part of Edgefield was Neil S. Brown, governor of Tennessee from 1846 to 1850. Brown’s home, Idlewild, was built in the 1860s. Inspired by a view from his estate of distant fields encircled by forest, the governor is credited originating the name Edgefield. After his death in 1886, Brown’s estate was sold and subdivided into approximately 100 building parcels, which were integrated into the adjoining street grid.
The area consists of a broad range of architectural style including the Greek Revival, Queen Anne, Folk, Craftsman, Bungalow, American Four Square, and Tudor styles. The area contains approximately 200 properties.