Park & Elkins
Neighborhood Conservation Zoning District
The Park & Elkins district is a Neighborhood Conservation Zoning Overlay district. Any new construction including additions, demolitions, or relocation of structures is reviewed by the MHZC prior to beginning the project. The Overlay was adopted by Metro Council on July 25, 2011.
The Park & Elkins district is a part of the Sylvan Park neighborhood. On May 24, 1887, the West Nashville Land Improvement Company held an auction to sell lots in what was then referred to as the “New Town” community. The original plan included present Richland Park and residential lots along the present Park Avenue, formerly known as First Avenue. This area later added the Charlotte Park addition, the Sylvan Park addition and other additions until it included all of what is now referred to as “Sylvan Park”.