Skip to Content

Additional Compensation

I was awarded 100%, should I stop fighting the VA?

There are numerous reasons why you might want to continue to claim service connected issues regardless of your current rating. Please watch this video for more information.

Compensation for qualifying dependents

A Veteran receiving 30% or more service connected disability compensation may be eligible for compensation for qualifying dependents. If you are married and/or have children, are rated at least 30% and are not receiving compensation for your dependents please contact us and we will be happy to assist you in pursuing compensation for those individuals. Please gather your marriage certificate, birth certificates or adoption decrees and SSNs of all dependents you wish to add. If you or your spouse were married previously, please gather divorce decrees or death certificates or other proof that the previous marriage was lawfully terminated.

What is a "qualifying dependent"?

  • Any unmarried biological or adopted child under the age of 18;
  • An unmarried child between the ages of 18 and 23 who is attending school;
  • A legal spouse - see the VA's website for guidance on what constitutes a "legal" spouse;

There are many exceptions to these guidelines. If you are unsure whether your dependents will qualify, please contact us and we will be happy to assist you.

Special Monthly Compensation (SMC)

SMC is an additional tax-free benefit that can be paid to Veterans, their spouses, surviving spouses and parents due to special circumstances such as the need of aid and attendance by another person or a specific disability, such as loss of use of a hand or leg.