Keep a Clean Machine
Regardless of whether it is a PC, smartphone, tablet, etc., one of the first and most important steps in keeping secure is keeping the device clean. Keeping your Internet-connected devices free from malware and infections makes the Internet safer for you and more secure for everyone.
A Few Tips
- Keep software current: Having the latest security software, web browser, and operating system are the best defenses against viruses, malware, and other online threats. Many software programs will automatically connect and update to defend against known risks. Turn on automatic updates if that’s an available option.
- Protect all devices that connect to the Internet: Along with computers, smart phones, gaming systems, and other web-enabled devices also need protection from viruses and malware.
- Plug & scan: “USBs” and other external devices can be infected by viruses and malware. Use your security software to scan them.
- Keep Your Firewall Turned On: A firewall helps protect your computer from hackers who might try to gain access to crash it, delete information, or even steal passwords or other sensitive information. Software firewalls are widely recommended for single computers.
- Install or Update Your Antivirus Software: Antivirus software is designed to prevent malicious software programs from embedding on your computer.
- Be Careful What You Download: Carelessly downloading e-mail attachments can circumvent even the most vigilant anti-virus software.
- Turn Off Your Computer: “Always on” renders computers more susceptible to security attacks.
- Act quickly: If you are notified, become aware or suspect your computer is infected, take immediate steps to remove malware.
Additional tips on keeping a clean machine