Mayor's Office Internship Program
The Mayor’s Office strives to create real-world opportunities for interns to see how local government shapes the community. Interns are assigned to a staff member to gain expertise in a particular area and work on independent projects. In short, interns help the Mayor’s Office “get stuff done.”
Unpaid positions are available during the fall, spring and summer semesters. Students must be able to work at least 10 hours per week in the fall and spring semesters. During the summer, students must be available to work a minimum of 21 hours. Students are encouraged to receive course credit for the experience.
Areas of focus include:
- Affordable Housing
- Communications / Press
- Domestic Violence
- Economic and Community Development
- Economic Opportunity / Poverty / Workforce Development
- Environment & Energy Efficiency
- Healthy / Active Living and Community Engagement
- Youth and Education
How to Apply
Applicants must submit:
- Professional resume and cover letter outlining your interest in working in local government
- Two letters of recommendation – one letter should be from a college professor familiar with your academic work, the other should be from a supervisor or other person familiar with your character and/or work ethic (not a relative)
- Writing sample of no more than 1,500 words (may be an excerpt from a longer piece of work)
Completed applications should be sent as PDF attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org .
E-mails expressing interest to intern in the area of domestic violence with the Office of Family Safety/Jean Crowe Advocacy Center should be sent to both Bijalmehta@jis.nashville.org and email@example.com.
Letters should be addressed to Ronnie Steine, Youth Policy Consultant.
The Mayor's Office will acknowledge receipt of materials within one week of submission. Interns are accepted on a rolling basis. Preference is given to applications received by the following dates: August 1 for fall semester, October 15 for spring semester, and February15 for summer semester. However, applications submitted after those dates will be considered if space is available.