EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 002
THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY
BILL PURCELL, MAYOR
SUBJECT: Creation of the Mayor's Office of Neighborhoods
WHEREAS, operations and activities of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County impact the quality of life in the neighborhoods throughout the County; and
WHEREAS, a planned and coordinated approach to the handling of the issues facing the neighborhoods will assist in the preservation and improvement of Nashville's neighborhoods; and
WHEREAS, a Mayor's Office of Neighborhoods can coordinate and enlist the support of many neighborhood organizations in the operations and activities of the Metropolitan Government; and
WHEREAS, a Mayor's Office of Neighborhoods will expand the services available to the residents of Davidson County by providing readily available assistance in dealing with the departments and agencies of the Metropolitan Government;
NOW THEREFORE, I, Bill Purcell, Mayor of Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, by virtue of the power and authority vested in me, do hereby direct and order the following:
1. The establishment of the Mayor's Office of Neighborhoods ("Office").
2. The Mayor's Office of Neighborhoods has the following functions and duties:
The development of programs to preserve and improve the neighborhoods of Davidson County;
To coordinate with other departments and agencies of the Metropolitan Government to assure the prompt and effective handling of problems experienced by the residents of Davidson County; and
To advise the Mayor on policies that would protect and improve the neighborhoods of the Metropolitan Government.
3. The establishment of a committee appointed by the Mayor to advise the Mayor on issues related to the activities of the Office and on issues necessary to carry out the purposes of that Office.
4. In order to carry out and facilitate the Office's general purposes, the Mayor may select a Director ("Director") and such additional staff as may be needed. The Director shall have the following duties:
To be responsible for the supervision, direction, and control of the work performed by the Office;
Coordinate among, Metropolitan Government departments, agencies and officials as necessary to meet the objectives of the Office.
5. The Office serves at the pleasure of the Mayor. Any provision in this Executive Order can be changed by the Mayor at any time, 'including but not limited to, the existence of the Office or the Advisory Commission.
Ordered, Effective and Issued.
Date: September 22, 1999