EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 008
THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY
BILL PURCELL, MAYOR
SUBJECT: ADA Implementation Committee
WHEREAS, in honor of this, the ten year anniversary of the Americans With Disabilities Act, the Metropolitan Government hereby reaffirms its continuing commitment not to discriminate on the basis of disability in its hiring and employment practices, or in admission in, access to, or operation of the programs, services and activities it offers to the public; and
WHEREAS, the Metropolitan Government is making a concerted effort to identify and effectuate those changes that will assist it in becoming more fully compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act; and
WHEREAS, pursuant to Executive Order No. 99-04, an ADA Task Force was created for the express purpose to review efforts by the Metropolitan Government to comply with the ADA and to recommend any additional steps that might be needed to reach compliance, and
WHEREAS, the ADA Task Force has completed its duties by issuing it’s final report, and
WHEREAS, the Metropolitan Government has recently solicited the assistance of the United States Department of Justice concerning its compliance with the public access provisions of Title II of the Americans With Disabilities, and have memorialized, by written agreement, the actions that will be voluntarily undertaken by it to improve program access for individuals with disabilities; and
WHEREAS, the Metropolitan Government has recently reached a settlement agreement with private litigants that will assure construction of accessible sidewalk curb ramps throughout Davidson County; and
WHEREAS, the Metropolitan Government recognizes that accessibility, once achieved, must be maintained, and new construction of, additions to, or alterations in its facilities must be monitored for continued compliance with Title II of the Americans With Disabilities Act; and
WHEREAS, a Committee composed of Metropolitan Government personnel is the most thorough and expeditious way to assure a more complete compliance with Title II of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Bill Purcell, Mayor of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, by virtue of the power and authority vested in me, do hereby direct and order the following:
Creation of Committee. There is hereby created a committee to be known as the ADA Implementation Committee, ("the Committee").
Composition of Committee. The Committee shall consist of the following persons:
Director, Department of Finance
Director, Department of Law
Director, General Services Administration
Director, Department of Public Works
Executive Director and Secretary of the Metropolitan Planning Commission
Staff of Committee. The staff of the Committee shall consist of the Metropolitan Government’s Title II ADA Coordinator; the ADA Title II coordinators for each of the Metropolitan Government’s boards, agency, commissions, and departments; persons who, at the Committee's request, are temporarily re-assigned for the duration of this undertaking from those departments not directly represented by the Committee; and, such other staff as may be assigned by a Committee member.
Duties of Committee. The Committee shall:
1. Oversee implementation of any changes required to bring those programs, services, and activities offered to the public by the Metropolitan Government into full compliance with Title II of the Americans With Disabilities Act;
2. Directly manage construction of all new facilities, and any additions, alterations, or renovations made to existing facilities, through a construction management system to be established by this Committee for all construction projects undertaken by the Metropolitan Government, except where such duties have been delegated by the Charter of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County to the Director of Public Works, the Metropolitan Board of Public Education or the Metropolitan Traffic and Parking Commission. Construction management responsibilities may be delegated by the Committee where the Committee determines, in writing, such delegation to be in the best interest of the Metropolitan Government;
3. Make recommendations to the Mayor and the Metropolitan Council for modification of the Code of Law of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, or other regulations of the Metropolitan Government that may be needed to effectuate a more complete compliance with Title II of the Americans With Disabilities Act;
4. Confer with and advise other departments, offices, agencies, boards and commissions of the Metropolitan Government on issues affecting their department's compliance with Title II of the Americans With Disabilities Act;
5. Report, annually or more frequently if the Committee determines additional reporting to be in the best interest of the Metropolitan Government, to the Mayor and the Metropolitan Council on Metro's progress in implementing the changes required to bring those Metropolitan Government's programs, services, and activities offered to the public into a more complete compliance with Title II of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
Executive Order No. 99-04: Executive Order No: 99-04 is hereby expressly superseded by the provisions of this Executive Order.
Effective Date. This Executive Order shall become effective on 26th July 2000.
Date: July 26, 2000