EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 023
THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY
Karl F. Dean , Mayor
SUBJECT: Mayor’s Youth Council
I, Karl Dean, Mayor of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, by virtue of the power and authority vested in me, do hereby amend former Mayor Purcell Executive Order No. 004 and 004a and former Mayor Bredesen Executive Order No. 99-07 and find, direct and order the following:
I. Young people need to be involved in local government in order to share their ideas and have their contributions and accomplishments recognized; and
II. The creation of a Youth Council formalizes and fosters a working partnership between the administration of the Metropolitan Government and the young people of this community.
1. There is a Mayor’s Youth Council for the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County.
2. The mission of the Mayor’s Youth Council shall be as follows:
a. To provide ongoing and direct input on government policies and practices that may affect young people.
b. To advocate on issues and initiatives that may impact the lives of young people.
c. To recommend and foster initiatives for and by youth.
d. To act as a communication link between the Metropolitan Government and the young people of Nashville.
e. To promote and recognize the abilities, accomplishments and contributions of young people in their communities.
f. To organize and participate in countywide forums, including an annual Mayor’s Youth Summit.
3. The Mayor’s Youth Council will include up to thirty (30) members and two (2) alternates. The students must be high school juniors or seniors and be representative of the geographic, racial and ethnic diversity of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County.
4. The Mayor appoints the members of the Mayor’s Youth Council based upon the recommendation of the school the student attends.
5. The Mayor’s Youth Council will meet monthly and will meet with the Mayor quarterly.
6. A member of the Mayor’s staff will coordinate the meetings with the Mayor and may request representatives of boards, commissions or departments of the Metropolitan Government to be present.
Ordered, Effective and Issued:
Karl F. Dean
Date: March 17, 2008