Mayor Megan Barry Executive Order Number 023
THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY
MEGAN BARRY, MAYOR
Subject: Child Death Review Team of the Metropolitan Government
I, Megan Barry, Mayor of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, by virtue of the power and authority vested in me, do hereby find, direct and order the following:
I. The purpose of the Child Death Review Team (Team) is to review the death of any child below eighteen (18) years of age legally residing in Davidson County at the time of death, irrespective of the location where the death occurred. In connection with its investigation, the Team shall assist in identifying information which could be pertinent in determining the manner of death in any unexpected child fatalities; identify preventable deaths and strategies for the prevention of future childhood fatalities, including any which might be related to limited access to health care; and collect statistical and other data. The Team will complete an annual report that describes how children are dying in Nashville and recommends appropriate strategies for prevention.
II. The Team shall have all the authority set forth in TCA Title 68 Chapter 142. Pursuant to 68-142-107, the Team shall share the results of its review with the State Child Fatality Review Team created by TCA 68-142-102,
1. There is a Child Death Review Team for the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County. Members are representatives from agencies that would have information about child deaths.
2. Statutory Team membership pursuant to TCA 68-142-106 consists of the following:
a. Director of the Metropolitan Department of Health
b. County Medical Examiner of Davidson County
c. A social service representative appointed by the Director of the Metropolitan Department of Social Services
d. A representative from juvenile court appointed by the Judge of the Juvenile Court for Davidson County.
e. A supervisor of social services in the Department of Children’s Services
f. A prosecuting attorney appointed by the District Attorney General of the 20th Judicial District of Tennessee
g. An employee of Metro Schools, to be appointed by the Director of Metro Schools
h. A local law enforcement officer appointed by the Chief of the Department of Metropolitan Police
i. A mental health professional
j. A pediatrician or family practice physician
k. An emergency medical service provider or firefighter appointed by the Chief of the Department of Fire
Additional members pursuant to this executive order include the following:
a. A representative of the Metro Office of Family Safety
b. Representatives of any other relevant public or private agencies that provide services to children and their families, at the discretion of the Chair and Co-Chair
The Chair is authorized to invite representation to the team from other agencies that work with children and families.
3. The Director of the Metropolitan Department of Health shall serve as the Chair of the Team. The County Medical Examiner of Davidson County shall serve as the Co-Chair of the Team.
4. The Team shall meet monthly. Special meetings may be called at the discretion of the Chair; Co-Chair, Team Coordinator, the District Attorney; or the Medical Examiner.
5. Members of the Team shall serve without compensation; however, travel and related expenses may be reimbursed pursuant to the Metropolitan Government's travel regulations, with the approval of the Director of Finance.
6. The Team shall observe confidentiality to the maximum extent permitted by law, according to TCA 68-142-108.
7. The Director of Law or a designee from the Department of Law shall serve as legal advisor to the Team.
8. Subject to the approval of the appropriate department head, the Team may utilize the services of any staff or resources of the Metropolitan Government. The Chair may include non-voting advisory members on an ad hoc basis to assist with specific cases or issues under review.
ORDERED, EFFECTIVE AND ISSUED:
Metropolitan County Mayor
Date: February 24, 2016