EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 94-01
THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY
PHIL BREDESEN, MAYOR
Subject: Establishment of Child Death Review Team of the Metropolitan Government
I, Philip Bredesen, Mayor of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, by virtue of the power and authority vested in me, do hereby direct and order that:
1. A Child Death Review Team is hereby established for the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County.
2. The Team shall have 10 members, consisting of the following:
Director of the Metropolitan Department of Health
Director of the Metropolitan Department of Social Services
Chief of the Department of Metropolitan Police
County Medical Examiner of Davidson County
Medical Director of "Our Kids, Inc."
The following elected officials are requested to serve as members of the Team or to designate representatives from their offices to do so:
District Attorney General of the 20th Judicial District of Tennessee
Judge of the Juvenile Court for Davidson County
In addition, the Commissioner of the Tennessee Department of Human Services is requested to designate a representative to serve on the team.
In addition to the foregoing, there shall be two other members, at least one of whom shall be a board certified pediatrician or a board certified child psychiatrist.
3. The purpose of the Team is to review the death of any child below 18 years of age legally residing in Davidson County at the time of death, irrespective of the location where the death occurred. In connection with its investigation, the Team shall assist in identifying information which could be pertinent in determining the manner of death in any unexpected child fatalities; identify preventable deaths and strategies for the prevention of future childhood fatalities, including any which might be related to limited access to health care; and collect statistical and other date and report annually to the Mayor relating how children are dying in Nashville and recommending appropriate strategies for prevention.
4. The Director of the Metropolitan Department of Health shall serve as the Chair of the Team.
5. The Team shall meet monthly. Special meetings may be called at the discretion of the Chair; the District Attorney; or the Medical Examiner.
6. Members of the Team shall serve without compensation; however, travel and related expenses may be reimbursed pursuant to the Metropolitan Government's travel regulations, with the approval of the Director of Finance.
7. The Team shall observe confidentiality to the maximum extent permitted by law.
8. The Director of Law or a designee from the Department of Law shall serve as legal advisor to the Team.
9. Subject to the approval of the appropriate department head, the Team may utilize the services of any staff or resources of the Metropolitan Government. The Chair may include non-voting advisory members on an ad hoc basis to assist with specific cases or issues under review.
This order shall become effective on January 1, 1994.
Ordered this 7th day of March 1994.