EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 99-05
THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY
PHIL BREDESEN, MAYOR
SUBJECT: The establishment of the Workforce Investment Executive Committee
WHEREAS, the preparedness of the workforce is paramount to the prosperity of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson county; and
WHEREAS, the Job Training Partnership Act was enacted by public law 97-300 to establish federally funded programs to facilitate the delivery of job training services to economically disadvantaged adults and youth, and for individuals who have been dislocated from their jobs due to plant closure, mass layoff, or who are long term unemployed; and
WHEREAS, the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (Public Law 105-220) repeals the Job Training Partnership Act, on July 1, 2000; and
WHEREAS, Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County is committed to maintaining a workforce development system that is responsible, accountable, private sector driven, and customer focused; and
WHEREAS, the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 creates a local Workforce Investment Board to be appointed by the Mayor; and
WHEREAS, the Mayor and members of such Board shall be jointly responsible for the implementation and operation of the workforce development system created under the Workforce Investment Act of 1998; and
WHEREAS, there is a need to develop a strategic plan that will provide guidance and recommendations to the Mayor on all matters concerning the implementation of the Workforce Investment Act of 1998; and
WHEREAS, an executive committee composed of business and community leaders is the most thorough and expeditious way to accomplish the tasks of coordination and development of such plan.
NOW THEREFORE, I, Philip Bredesen, Mayor of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, by virtue of the power and authority vested in me, do hereby direct and order the following.
Creation of Executive Committee. There is hereby created an Executive Committee known as the Workforce Investment Executive Committee.
Composition of the Executive Committee. The Workforce Investment Executive Committee shall consist of the following persons:
Mr. Sid Pilson, Ernst and Young LLP
Mr. Carter Andrews, Little Planet Publishing Company
Mr. Paul Stinson, BellSouth
Ms. Adrienne Latham, Fisk University
Mr. James Crowell, James H. Crowell CPA
Ms. Nancy Eisenbrandt, Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce
Dr. Ellen Weed, Nashville State Technical Institute
Mr. A.J. Starling, Tennessee AFL-CIO
Other members as determined appropriate by the Mayor
The Workforce Investment Executive Committee shall be chaired by Mr. Sid Pilson, Ernst and Young LLP. As the Mayor's designee, Ms. Pearl Sims, Executive Director of the Nashville Career Advancement Center shall be responsible for providing guidance and administrative support to the Committee.
Duties of the Executive Committee. The Workforce Investment Executive Committee shall:
1. Determine the extent of impact the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 will have on the existing Metropolitan Nashville workforce development system, and it's beneficiaries; and
2. Determine what issues should be addressed to ensure an efficient transition, and promote an effective coordinated delivery of workforce investment activities funded under the Workforce Investment Act; and
3. Develop a strategic plan to address such issues, thereby creating a foundation for the appointment of a local Workforce Investment Board, and the implementation of the Workforce Investment Act of 1998; and
4. Implement such strategic plan; and
5. Make recommendation to the Mayor concerning any on-going or continued coordination activities necessary to ensure all Davidson County residents and employers have access to a high quality and customer focused workforce development system.
Report. The Workforce Investment Executive Committee shall prepare a report to the Mayor outlining the strategies developed and the activities conducted with respect to this Executive Order.
Effective Date. This Executive Order shall become effective on 15 June 1999.
Ordered this 15th day of June 1999.