EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 99-07
THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY
PHIL BREDESEN, MAYOR
SUBJECT: Creation of the Mayor's Youth Council
WHEREAS, it has been determined that the Metropolitan Government does not have a formal process in place to receive the opinions of young people on governmental policies and practices that impact their lives; and
WHEREAS, teenagers need to be involved in their local government, to be able to share their ideas and, have their contributions and accomplishments recognized; and
WHEREAS, the creation of a Youth Council will formalize and foster a working partnership between the administration of the Metropolitan Government and the young people of this community.
NOW THEREFORE, I, Philip Bredesen, Mayor of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, by virtue of the power and authority vested in me, do hereby direct and order the following:
1. That there be created and established the Mayor's Youth Council.
2. The Mayor's Youth Council will include thirty members and two alternates. The thirty students must be high school juniors or seniors and be representative of the geographic, racial and ethnic diversity of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County.
3. The Mayor's Youth Council will meet monthly and will meet with the Mayor quarterly.
4. A member of the Mayor's staff will coordinate the meetings with the Mayor and may request representatives of boards, commissions or departments of the Metropolitan Government to be present.
5. The mission of the Mayor's Youth Council shall be as follows:
(a) To provide ongoing and direct input on government policies and practices that may affect teenagers.
(b) To recommend and foster initiatives for and by youth.
(c) To act as a communication link between the Metropolitan Government and the young people of Nashville.
(d) To promote and give recognition to the abilities, accomplishments and contributions of young people in their communities.
(e) To organize countywide forums, including an annual Mayor's Youth Summit.
Effective Date. This Executive Order shall become effective on the 25th day of August 1999.