In Davidson County, any company conducting residential door-to-door solicitation of any goods, wares, merchandise, or services must first apply for a solicitation permit with the Metropolitan Clerk’s Office. These permits are valid for two years.
The complete Metro Code can be viewed here: Metropolitan Code §6.64
Who is exempt?
- Books sales or other expressive works
- Newspaper or magazine subscriptions
- You have the right to ask a solicitor for their identification badge.
- An owner or lawful occupant may register their property for the "no knock” list. The address will be on the registry for 365 days.
- You may post a “No Trespassing” or “No Solicitation” sign which is visible at your residence which prohibits all door-to-door solicitation whether they have a permit or not.
- No action by a citizen (i.e. not registering or no signage) will result in door-to-door commercial solicitation by permitted solicitors.