Metro Parks' Summer Camps offer summer adventure!
April 25, 2014
Department’s 2014 camps focus on music, dance, theater, sports and the environment
Nashville, TN --- Metro Parks is offering a variety of summer camps this year that for children ages 7 and up. The camps and activities are designed to build skill-sets and interest levels all while having fun. From programs that foster a respect of the environment to focused study in the various disciplines of cultural arts, the department’s offerings have something for nearly every interest and income. Here’s a listing.
• Camp Warner Park is a summer enrichment program that helps to bridge the summer learning gap by engaging children in outdoor play and informal environmental education to raise awareness, foster respect and share enthusiasm for the natural environment. Pre-registration is required for the camp, which offers six one-week sessions beginning June 2. Log on to www.CampWarnerPark.com for more info.
• Summer Theater Intensives offers three areas of focus for kids interested in theater. Pre-registration is required for Onstage/Backstage (improvisation, character creation, beginning and intermediate acting), Musical Theater (comedy, song and dance), and Theater Extreme (all aspects of theater including directing and choreography). Participants are required to bring their own lunch, and wear shoes not sandals. Call 615.880.2281 or email email@example.com for more info.
• All Ages Summer Chill is scheduled from 6 p.m. – 10 p.m., every Tuesday in June and July at the Centennial Black Box Theater located in Centennial Park. The department is seeking submissions for talented artists under the age of 21 to be a part of the weekly, open to the public performance. Bands, musicians, poets, singers, songwriters and performing artists of all genres are encouraged to submit copies of their work for performance consideration. Call 615.880.2281.
• Nature Centers offer a variety of individual programs for children throughout the year and particularly during the summer. The centers, which are located in Beaman, Bells Bend, Shelby and Warner parks offer activities such as: Frog-tastic Friday, Celebrating Suess, Marsh Madness, Make a Survival Braclet and more! Log on to http://www.nashville.gov/Parks-and-Recreation/Nature-Centers-and-Natural-Areas.aspx for information on summer programs.
• jamBands will offer three single-week sessions of the popular summer intensive music camps. Camp is for children ages 10 – 18 and held at Centennial Parks’ Arts Activity Center. jamBands’ campers get plenty of instruction and performance time. Guest instructors from the local music scene will also share tips on taking care of business in the music world. Call 615.880.2281 for info.
• Summer Teen Dance Intensive, scheduled 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., June 2 – 13, is an immersive dance experience for intermediate and advanced teen dancers ages 12-18 with a ballet and/or modern background. Dancers will train in a wide range of styles and approaches that reflect the professional dance world today including: somatic and body work to develop a deeper sense of body awareness, discover movement patterns that affect dance training, and condition the body for long-lasting and healthy movement practices; rigorous and invigorating ballet technique, pointe work, and repertory; modern technique, improvisation, composition and repertory; theater jazz, character and/or world dance styles. Students who have modern training but little ballet experience may register for the afternoon only from 1:30 p.m. to 5 pm. Level placement will be determined by a placement audition on the first day of the intensive. A 50% deposit and application are due by May 19. Full details and an application can be found at www.centennialyouthballet.org.
• Story Ballet Workshops explores favorite timeless classical ballets through movement, music, and craft activities. The two hour workshops, for ages 6 -10, include snacks and craft supplies. The workshops are scheduled June 2 – 5 and June 9 - 12 at the Centennial Arts Activity Center. Log on to www.centennialyouthballet.org for full details and the registration form.
• 2014 Centennial Tennis Summer Camp for ages 12 and under, 10 and under, and 8 and under. Dates: June 2 - 6, June 9 - 13, June 16 - 20, June 23 – 27. Price: $150 per week, per child. Enroll now! For more information, call 862-8490 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Spring Tennis Clinic for ages 12 and under, 10 and under, and 8 and under. Scheduled Mondays and Wednesdays, May 5 – 21 at the Centennial Tennis Center. Price: $60 for all dates or $30 for either Mondays or Wednesdays. Enroll now! Call 862-8490 or email email@example.com.
• Middle School & High School Tennis Clinics for ages 13 – 16. Scheduled from 4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m., every Tuesday and Thursday, May 6 - 22 at the Centennial Tennis Center. Price: $60.00. Enroll now! Call 862-8490 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .