TSU Homecoming Parade & Football Game Set for Saturday
September 24, 2014
September 24, 2014
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
More than 50 Metro police officers will be on the streets immediately surrounding LP Field on Saturday afternoon to assist the traffic flow of Tennessee State University football fans arriving for this year’s homecoming game against Florida A&M University.
Officers will be on their stadium-area posts beginning at 3:15 p.m. Saturday. Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m. LP Field gates open at 4:30 p.m.
TSU homecoming traditionally draws the school’s largest football attendance of the year. Fans are urged to arrive at the stadium early. Parking lots at LP Field will begin opening at 6 a.m. Saturday to fans with parking passes as well as those taking advantage of cash lots ($20 per vehicle). TSU staff will be making an extra effort to ensure that tailgating activities/items do not interfere with open parking spaces or block traffic in the lots.
TSU’s Saturday homecoming festivities actually begin at 9 a.m. with the annual parade, which will travel west on Jefferson Street from Dr. D.B. Todd Boulevard to the university campus. The parade will feature the TSU Aristocrat of Bands, floats and a number of high school bands.
In preparation for the parade and its staging, Jefferson Street from 10th Avenue North to the TSU campus will begin closing at 7:30 a.m. Saturday. The I-40 west exit ramp at Jefferson Street will also be closed. In addition, the following closures will be in effect:
• John A. Merritt Boulevard from 28th to 33rd Avenues
• 12th Avenue from Jefferson Street to Herman Street
• 14th Avenue from Jefferson Street to Herman Street
• 16th Avenue from Jefferson Street to Herman Street
• Meharry Boulevard between 12th and 16th Avenues
• Phillips Street between 12th and 16th Avenues
• Jackson Street between 12th and 16th Avenues
• Ireland Street between 12th and 16th Avenues
• W. Heiman Street between 23rd and 28th Avenues
• Scovel Street between 23rd and 28th Avenues
• Beasley Street between 23rd and 28th Avenues
• Ed Temple Boulevard between Dr. Walter S. Davis Boulevard & Albion Street.
Arriving early is the key to fully enjoying TSU’s homecoming parade Saturday morning and the football game late Saturday afternoon.