Park Projects and Sustainability
Metro Parks requires that sustainable site development techniques be integrated into its projects. New building construction, as specified by Metro Council ordinance, must achieve a LEED Silver rating.
In general, the designs should address the following sustainability issues:
- Site permeability and stormwater management
- Habitat restoration and enhancement
- Reducing riparian impacts
- Minimizing light pollution
- Water use efficiency
- Energy conservation and atmospheric impact
- Materials and resource use and efficiency
- Active living by design
One way Parks is advancing these sustainability goals is through the integration of green roof systems. The following video explains the construction and benefits of the new McCabe Park Community Center green roof.