The Charter of the Metropolitan Government for Nashville and Davidson County requires that the Planning Commission submit a list of recommended capital improvements that are necessary or desirable to be constructed or provided during the next six years.
This capital improvements budget is a planning tool to prioritize and coordinate investments in long-term, durable improvements. Investments are considered to be capital improvements when they:
- Have a lifetime greater than 10 years
- Cost more than $50,000
Capital improvements include Metro facilities and equipment, as well as infrastructure (capital investments that shape private activities, such as decided where to live, start a business, or invest). The Planning Commission’s role is most closely tied to infrastructure, which must be closely coordinated with land use regulations.
Metro Planning is continually working to ensure that the Capital Improvements Budget (CIB) aligns with NashvilleNext, is more accessible and transparent, and is data-driven.
The adopted FY2016-17 through FY2021-22 Capital Improvements Budget is below.
- I. Projects funded by the Urban Services District
- II. Projects funded by the General Services District
- III. Detailed project descriptions (full PDF), or see individual subsections below
- a. Facilities & technology (includes the Agricultural Extension, County Clerk, District Energy System, Farmer’s Market, Finance, General Hospital, General Services, General Sessions Court, Health, Human Resources, Information Technology Service, Metro Action Commission, Metropolitan Clerk, Municipal Auditorium, and Social Services)
- b. Public Works
- c. Safety (includes Emergency Communications Center, Fire, Juvenile Court, Juvenile Court Clerk, Police, Sheriff, and State Trial Courts)
- d. Schools
- e. Transit, development & culture (includes Arts Commission, Historical Commission, MDHA, MTA, Parks, Planning Commission, Public Library, Sports Authority, and State Fair Board)
- f. Water & sewer
- IV. Projects by Council District
FY2017 Capital Spending Plan and past Capital Improvements Budgets
The Adopted FY2017 CIB Viewer
The Planning Commission approved the current CIB on April 28, 2016. The interactive map linked below provides information on all currently approved projects. Please help us make it as easy as possible to use by sharing your thoughts through the comment link inside the "Viewer."
Enter the "FY2017 CIB Viewer"
Email us with questions or comments
The FY2018 CIB Requests Viewer
This Viewer shows project requests from Metro departments for the FY18 Capital Improvements Budget, covering the next six years.
Enter the "FY2018 CIB Requests Viewer"