- Two years (60 Semester hours) of general academic studies from an accredited college or university with an overall Grade Point Average of 2.0 ("C" Average) on a 4.0 scale. Hours for remedial courses will not be counted. No more than two (2) transcripts will be evaluated. The cumulative hours and Grade Point Average (GPA) must appear on the transcript. Candidates must submit "official" transcripts that meet Metro's Educational Standards. At least one half of the total hours must be taken in residence, no more than half may be earned in non-traditional credits.
Applicant must have at least 2 years of active military duty and possess a high school diploma or GED. Must not have been released or discharged under other than Honorable from any of the Armed Forces of the United States.
Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED and documentation of a minimum of 2 years full-time law enforcement experience in a patrol capacity with a certification from Tennessee P.O.S.T. or equivalent State certification board.
Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED and have 5 years of Full time (40 hour per week) responsible work experience.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age. (May apply 2 (two) months prior to your 21st birthday).
- Must have normal depth perception. Must have normal color vision.
- Valid "Class D" Driver's License.
- Be a citizen of the United States, OR a permanent legal resident of the United States who is an honorably discharged veteran of the United States armed forces;requires such an officer to apply for or obtain citizenship within six years of the employment start date.
- Have not been convicted of or pleaded guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge or to any violations of any federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor or controlled substance.
- All arrest history MUST be expunged and the expungement paperwork MUST be included with the personal history statement.
- Your driving record will be considered part of the background investigation for this position. Multiple offenses and/or chargeable accidents are grounds for disqualification or removal from the eligibility register.
- Honorable discharge from Military Service (if applicable).
- The medical requirements for enlistment or appointment to either the Army or Navy are the basis for physical suitability at the time of appointment.
- Meet standards set by the Tennessee Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission and adopted by the Tennessee General Assembly on June 24, 1983, T.C.A. 38-8-106.
Previous Drug Use Criteria
- Drug use will be viewed in the context of the applicant's age at the time of use, type of drug, how recently it was used, and the frequency of use. No illegal drug use will be allowed within 2 years of the date of application.
- No sale of any drugs.
- Could have permanent disqualification for use of heroin, LSD, PCP, crack cocaine, and methamphetamine or similar substances.
- Any prior drug use, admitted or discovered, will be evaluated in determining employment eligibility.
- No pattern of abuse of legal or legend drugs (including steroids).
- Must pass polygraph or CVSA concerning use.
Tattoos, Body Art and Physical Alterations
All employees shall adhere to generally accepted business standards for appearance with respect to body art and physical alterations. Not a generally accepted standard for appearance in law enforcement would be facial tattoos or neck tattoos that are exposed even with a collared shirt, and hand tattoos.
- Tattoos of an offensive or provocative nature are prohibited.
- Tattoos and brands visible on the body that are obscene and/or advocate sexual, racial, ethnic, or religious discrimination are prohibited.
- Employees are prohibited from displaying excessive tattoos or body paintings that would detract from an appropriate professional appearance.
- Visible physical alterations of the body that are not consistent with generally acceptable business standards of appearance are prohibited. (i.e. tongue splitting).
- These provisions would not preclude employees from undergoing required medical procedures to ensure the health of the employee.
If you have questions concerning this policy, please contact our Recruitment Office.