Daffodil Bulbs for Schools!
All schools in Davidson County may request Daffodil Bulbs for fall planting! Deadline is October 31 each year, but schools can register any time.
In the current 2011-2012 school year, Metro Beautification gave out 6,000 bulbs to 74 schools. There were a total of 6,795 students who participated.
These students at Cockerill Elementary are attempting to create a large smiley face of yellow blooms in their school courtyard.
These before and after photos of Hume-Fogg High School's bulb planting project in 2011 show why students and teachers want to participate in MBEC's program.
Daffodil bulbs are perfect for teaching students a concrete lesson in plant growth and a perfect way to involve students in beautifying their school campus! Here is how some schools have used their daffodil bulbs over years:
- Damon Hill, pictured to the left, planted bulbs as part of a community service project with Ombudsman Mill Creek Center
- Bookemeade Elementary will use their bulbs for plant-related science standards in 1st grade.
- Abintra Montessori will plant their bulbs outside their classroom. - Spring time is always the best time of the year to watch the kids faces when the bulbs they planted, flower!
- Creative writing and art classes at Margaret Allen Middle School will plant their bulbs around the campus. Bulbs and growth used in art class through drawing sequence of growth. Creative writing class maintains the gardens.
- Crieve Hall Elementary and Kindergarten students planted bulbs in November 2008 and have delighted seeing the blooms each spring ever since.
- Buena Vista Enhanced Option School will plant the bulbs at the front of the school. Science: study of plants including bulbs.
- Croft Middle Design Center will plant bulbs in front of the school. Life Skills students will be planting bulbs as part of school beautification.
- Lockeland Design Center will plant in front of the school or in the science/garden area. We are looking to create an outdoor science/garden area that ties in with our recycling and composting.
- At Linden Waldorf School - I [teacher] have been part of the program for many years and it is one of my favorite projects with the children.
- Sylvan Park Paideia Design School will plant around the school.
- F. H. Jenkins Elementary will plant bulbs around the campus.
- Our Savior Lutheran Academy School - 4-6th grade science classes will plant bulbs.
- Dupont Tyler Middle School 5th graders will plant bulbs.
- Andrew Jackson Elementary will plant bulbs.
- Robertson Academy gifted Pre-K classes will plant bulbs.
School Litter Clean Up - Ring Around the School
All schools in Davidson County are invited to join the Great American Cleanup, March - May, and cleanup the litter around their school campus! Metro Beautification provides trash bags and incentive gifts for all students involved. Register for the Ring Around the School cleanup!