Skip to Content

Superintendents and Directors

  • 1831 Albert Stein. The Nashville Water Committee appointed Mr. Stein to serve as Engineer, charged with overseeing the construction of the first waterworks in Nashville.
  • 1833 Richard Garrett
  • 1834 John M. Seabury - Mr. Seabury served as Superintendent multiple times.
  • 1835-1837 John Hall - Mr. Hall was a well-respected Captain in the fire department.
  • 1838 -1843 John M. Seabury
  • 1843-1844 No Superintendent
  • 1844-1849 Alfred A. Adams
  • 1850-1853 John M. Seabury
  • 1854-1855 Henry A. Cooper
  • 1856-1863 John M. Seabury - Mr. Seabury continued serving as Superintendent during the Federal Occupation of Nashville during the Civil War. In 1862, Mr. Seabury was elected Chief of the Fire Department.
  • 1864 No record available
  • 1865 Daniel Cunningham
  • 1866 John M. Seabury
  • 1867 James Wyatt
  • 1868-1869 James W. Ready
  • 1870-1881 James Wyatt
  • 1881 -1932 George Reyer - The pumping station at Omohundro was named after Mr. Reyer.
  • 1932-1971 Robert L. Lawrence, Jr.
  • 1972-1982 Kenneth Ray Harrington - The Stones River Water Treatment Plant was renamed K.R. Harrington.
  • 1983-1987 William B. Whitson - The Metro Water Services Administrative Building on 2nd Avenue North was named after Mr. Whitson.
  • 1987-2000 Lester (Buddy) Williams, Jr.
  • 2001 Robert Wingo (Acting Director)
  • 2001 - Present Scott Potter

Portrait of George Reyer. Member of the Porter Rifles. Supt. Nashville City Water Works. Died in 1932. Courtesy of the Tennessee State Museum.

George Reyer.
Lithograph courtesy of the Tennessee State Museum.

R. L. Lawrence, Jr.

R. L. Lawrence, Jr.

Celebrating the 100th Annivesary of the 8th Avenue Reservoir. Pictured from left to right, William B. Whitson, Mayor Bill Boner, Lester (Buddy) Williams, K.R. Harrington

Celebrating the 100th anniversary of the 8th Avenue Reservoir. Pictured from left to right: William B. Whitson, mayor Bill Boner, Lester (Buddy) Williams, K.R. Harrinton.