Flood Risk Information
During periods of heavy rain it is important that you know your flood hazard risks and take proper flood safety precautions in case of potential flooding. The National Weather Service will post flash flood warnings or watches when the conditions are present.
Know the terms used to describe flooding.
- Flood Watch – flooding is possible
- Flood Warning – flooding is occurring or will occur soon
Keep alert to rising waters in the streams in your area.
- Local radio stations – WSM (AM 650)
- Local television channels – ABC 2 (WKRN), NBC 4 (WSMV), News Channel 5 (WTVF), and Fox 17 (WZTV)
- All hazards NOAA Weather Radios (NWR) are available for purchase in local electronic retail or department stores and provide access to the NOAA Weather Radio System.
Should a thunderstorm threaten Metro Nashville-Davidson County, the Nashville Emergency Response Viewing Engine (NERVE) presents real-time information about road closures, school closings, locations of emergency shelters, food and water distribution centers, and Disaster Assistance Centers. NERVE is smartphone and mobile device ready.