THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY
KARL F. DEAN , MAYOR
EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 029
SUBJECT: Emergency Radio Management Committee
I, Karl Dean, Mayor of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, by virtue of the power and authority vested in me, do hereby amend former Mayor Purcell Executive Order No. 018 and Mayor Bredesen Executive Order No. 99-06 and find, direct and order the following:
I. The Metropolitan Government and the Nashville Electric Service (N.E.S.) embarked on a project to purchase, construct and operate a 800 MHZ trunked radio system (the “System”) to improve emergency dispatch and response throughout Davidson County; and
II. Even though the digital radio technology in the System provides greater radio bandwidth, the license issued to the Metropolitan Government by the Federal Communications Commission provides only a limited radio bandwidth to the Metropolitan Government; and
III. In order to utilize the System to its fullest potential and preserve its availability for emergency use, the Metropolitan Government must efficiently manage and control access to the System; and
IV. In December 1997, the Metropolitan Government and Nashville Electric Service entered into a Memorandum of Understanding that included a provision for a joint committee to manage the access to and operation of the 800 MHZ trunked radio system.
1. There is a Metropolitan Government Emergency Radio Management Committee for the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County.
2. The membership of the Metropolitan Government Emergency Radio Management Committee shall be as follows:
a. The Director of General Services, or his or her designee;
b. A representative selected by N.E.S.
c. The Chief of Police, or his or her designee;
d. The Fire Chief, or his or her designee;
e. The Purchasing Agent, or his or her designee;
f. The Director of Information Systems, or his or her designee;
g. The Metropolitan Sheriff, or his or her designee;
h. The Director of Public Works, or his or her designee;
i. The Director of Water & Sewerage Services, or his or her designee;
j. The Director of Parks & Recreation, or his or her designee;
k. The Director of the Office of Emergency management, or his or her designee;
l. The Director of the Emergency Communications Center, or his or her designee;
3. The Police Department, Fire Department, Emergency Communications Center and N.E.S. are expected to be the major users of the System. The Department of General Services will have the major operating and maintenance responsibilities for the System. Therefore, these five (5) agencies will be the lead agencies on the Committee and shall have two (2) votes each. The other agencies represented on the Committee shall have one (1) vote each.
4. The Director of General Services shall serve as Chair. The Committee shall select a Vice Chairman from another agency who will serve for a term of one (1) year. The Committee shall adopt any additional rules for internal governance it deems necessary. The staff services to the Committee will be provided by the Department of General Services.
5. The mission of the Metropolitan Government Emergency Management Committee is as follows:
a. Develop and implement guidelines for the allocation of effective and efficient use of the System, including the loading and development for all users.
b. Determine the accurate maintenance and operating costs for the System and then recommend a plan to assess each user a fair and proportionate share to recover these costs.
c. Develop and recommend guidelines to the Director of Finance and N.E.S. for the creation and maintenance of a reserve fund to cover unanticipated expenses and improvements to the System.
d. Provide long-range planning for the ultimate retirement and replacement of the System.
Ordered, Effective and Issued:
Karl F. Dean
Date: March 17, 2008
Metro Clerk's Office Home | Metro Home | Department List
Comments, suggestions, or error reports.
© 1999-2005, Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County
Statement of Non-discrimination