ORDINANCE NO. BL2011-899
An Ordinance amending Chapters 17.04 and 17.32 of Title 17 the Metropolitan Code, Zoning Regulations, by adding a definition for “Alley Sign”, modifying the definition for “hanging sign” and providing provisions for alley signs all of which is more specifically described herein (Proposal No. 2011Z-004TX-001).
WHEREAS the Metropolitan Government of Nashville & Davidson County supports alley access to promote parking for those who live, work, and shop in a manner that does not dominate the street, is sensitive to the pedestrian environment, softens the visual impact of development and provides a greater level of safety and comfort for pedestrians and vehicular traffic alike.
WHEREAS signage along alleys is necessary to promote alley access for parking, assist in wayfinding, and protect the safety and welfare of those traveling within alleyways.
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT ENACTED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY:
Section 1. That the codification of Title 17 of the Code of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, Zoning Regulations, is hereby amended by amending Section 17.04.060 (Definitions of general terms) by adding a definition for “Alley Sign”:
“Alley Sign” means a hanging sign permitted within the rear yard or rear yard setback adjacent to an alley.
Section 2. That the codification of Title 17 of the Code of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, Zoning Regulations, is hereby amended by amending Section 17.04.060 (Definitions of general terms) by deleting the definition for “Hanging Sign” and replacing with the following new definition for “Hanging Sign”:
“Hanging sign" means a ground sign with one vertical post and one or two arms from which a sign hangs. The sign is intended for buildings with a deep build-to zone, or when parking is accessed by an alley and is placed perpendicular to the sidewalk or alley.
Section 3. That the codification of Title 17 of the Code of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, Zoning Regulations, is hereby amended by amending Section 17.32.040 (Exempt signs) by adding the following new subsection CC.:
CC: Alley sign
a) An alley sign shall be permitted under the following circumstances:
1. The property is not zoned for single or two-family residential, except where a valid permit has been issued for a Historic Bed and Breakfast Homestay.
2. Required or accessory parking is located at the rear of the property.
3. The rear parking is only accessible from an alley.
b) A permitted alley sign shall meet all the following requirements:
1. A property is only permitted one alley sign.
2. Alley signs shall be for on-premises uses only.
3. An alley sign shall not be internally lit, but may be externally lit.
4. The maximum display surface area for an alley sign shall be four square feet.
5. The maximum width of the display surface shall be two feet.
6. The maximum height of an alley sign above grade shall be five feet.
7. The minimum side setback shall be three feet.
8. The minimum setback from an alley right-of-way shall be five feet.
9. Alley signs must be placed at location that will not obstruct visibility along the alley or for vehicles entering or exiting the site.
10. Alley signs must be a minimum of 40 feet from a public street right-of-way.
11. Alley sings permitted on residential properties specified above shall have a maximum display surface of 14.5 inches long by 5.25 inches tall and a maximum letter height of 1.25 inches tall. Ornamentation shall not be permitted.
Section 4. Be it further enacted, that this ordinance take effect immediately after its passage and such change be published in a newspaper of general circulation, the welfare of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County requiring it.
Sponsored by: Jim Gotto
|Introduced:||April 5, 2011|
|Passed First Reading:||April 5, 2011|
Commission - Approved 7-0
(March 10, 2011)
Planning & Zoning Committee
|Passed Second Reading:||May 3, 2011|
|Deferred Indefinitely:||May 3, 2011|
|Withdrawn:||August 16, 2011|