ORDINANCE NO. BL2015-1008
An ordinance amending Chapter 8.12 of the Metropolitan Code pertaining to outdoor pet tethering.
BE IT ENACTED THE COUNCIL OF THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY:
Section 1. That Section 8.12.030 of the Metropolitan Code is hereby amended by deleting subsection C. in its entirety and substituting with the following new subsection C.:
C. Pet tethering. For purposes of this subsection, "tether" means a cable, cord, or similar device used to attach an animal to a stationary device, but does not include chains. No person shall allow any animal to remain confined in such a manner as to unreasonably restrict the animal's ability to move. No person shall allow any dog to remain tethered unless all of the following conditions are satisfied:
1. The tether is not unreasonably heavy in proportion to the weight of the animal.
2. A swivel is located at both ends of the tether and the tether is free of tangles.
3. The collar on the animal to which the swivel is attached is properly fitted and is a collar that is commonly recognized as a pet collar (choke and pinch collars are not permitted).
4. The tether is not less than fifteen feet in length.
5. Chains shall be prohibited for use as a tethering device.
6. The animal is not outside during a period of extreme weather, including without limitation a heat index of 95 degrees Fahrenheit (95° F) or above as determined by the National Weather Service, freezing temperatures, thunderstorms, or tornados.
7. The animal has access to water, shelter, and dry ground at all times, and has access to adequate food.
8. The animal is at least six months of age and has a current rabies vaccination.
9. The animal is not sick, injured, or in heat (estrus).
10. Pulley, running line, or trolley systems are at least fifteen feet in length and are not less than six feet above the ground.
11. If there are multiple animals, each animal must be tethered separately.
12. The tethering device shall allow the tethered dog to lie down comfortably at all positions of tether.
Section 2. This Ordinance shall take effect from and after its final passage, the Welfare of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County requiring it.
Sponsored by: Karen Bennett, Sheri Weiner, Anthony Davis, Larry Hagar, Karen Johnson, Burkley Allen, Fabian Bedne, Megan Barry, Phil Claiborne, Lonnell Matthews, Jason Potts, Peter Westerholm
Amendment No. 1
Ordinance No. BL2015-1008
I move to amend Ordinance No. BL2015-1008 by amending Section 1 by deleting subsection C.3. in its entirety and substituting with the following new subsection C.3.:
“3. The collar or harness on the animal to which the swivel is attached is properly fitted and is a collar or harness that is commonly recognized as a pet collar or harness (choke and pinch collars are not permitted).”
Sponsored by: Karen Bennett
|Introduced:||January 20, 2015|
|Passed First Reading:||January 20, 2015|
|Referred to:||Health, Hospitals and Social Services Committee|
|Amended:||February 3, 2015|
|Passed Second Reading:||February 3, 2015|
|Passed Third Reading:||February 24, 2015 - Roll Call Vote|
|Motion to Reconsider
March 3, 2015 - Roll Call Vote
|Approved:||March 4, 2015|
Requests for ADA accommodation should be directed to the Metropolitan Clerk at 615/862-6770.