ORDINANCE NO. BL2016-497
An Ordinance amending Section 12.40.090 of the Metropolitan Code to provide guidance for placement of handicapped parking spaces on public streets outside residential properties.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY:
Section 1. That Chapter 12.40 of the Metropolitan Code is hereby amended by adding a new section as follows:
12.40.095 - Residential On-Street Handicapped Parking Space.
A. Individuals may contact the department of public works to request that a residential on-street handicapped parking space be placed in front of their residence at no cost to the resident. The department shall evaluate each request to determine if a residential on-street handicapped parking space is appropriate. Factors to be considered in determining whether placement of a residential on-street handicapped parking space is appropriate include:
1. The availability of off street parking, including a driveway, parking lot, or garage
2. Whether the person requesting the space possesses a properly identified vehicle
3. Whether the residence where the space is requested contains an accessibility ramp or other similar accommodation
4. Whether the individual is eligible for paratransit services offered by the Metro government
5. Any other factor which, upon inspection of the residential property, is deemed appropriate by the department
B. Residential on-street handicapped parking spaces are not reserved for the resident or individual who requested the space and may be used by other properly identified vehicles.
Section 2. This Ordinance shall take effect from and after its enactment, the welfare of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County requiring it.
Sponsored by: Colby Sledge
|Introduced:||December 6, 2016|
|Passed First Reading:||December 6, 2016|
|Referred to:||Public Works Committee|
|Deferred to January 17, 2017 :||December 20, 2016|
|Passed Second Reading:||January 17, 2017|
|Passed Third Reading:||February 7, 2017|
|Approved:||February 8, 2017|
Requests for ADA accommodation should be directed to the Metropolitan Clerk at 615/862-6770.