RESOLUTION NO. RS2013-554
A resolution recognizing Dodson Chapel United Methodist Church on its 200th anniversary.
WHEREAS, in 1812, the current Dodson Chapel United Methodist Church was established as Wright’s Chapel; and
WHEREAS, in 1859, land across the Stones River from the Hoggett Clover Bottom Plantation in Hermitage, Tennessee was given by the Timothy Dodson family for the construction of Dodson Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church; and
WHEREAS, in 1906, the present Dodson Chapel Methodist Church sanctuary was erected of solid brick and stone with the walls being 17 inches thick and having a unique inclining floor toward the chancel; and
WHEREAS, Dodson Chapel suffered through two fires in 1917 and 1935 that resulted in furniture being purchased and installed in the sanctuary that is still in use today; and
WHEREAS, the rejoining of churches in the north and south in 1939 provided the church with the name of Dodson Chapel Methodist Church; and
WHEREAS, Dodson Chapel Methodist Church has benefitted from a number of capital improvements over the years, including construction of the Fellowship Hall in 1953, the addition of the Education Wing and central air conditioning in 1962, and the construction of the Childcare Wing and new steeple in 1987; and
WHEREAS, the merger of The Methodist Church and The Evangelical United Brethren Church provided the church with its current name of Dodson Chapel United Methodist Church; and
WHEREAS, in 2002, a bell from the closing Castillian Springs United Methodist Church was obtained that dates back over 100 years, possibly to the 1800s; and
WHEREAS, on September 24, 2006, the church celebrated the 100th Anniversary of the Sanctuary and dedicated a newly-refurbished playground known as the Thomas Hagar Playground; and
WHEREAS, on June 17, 2008, the church purchased the former Old Dodson Elementary School from Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County to expand their present Childcare Center; and
WHEREAS, the church added infant and toddler care in the former school on November 29, 2010; and
WHEREAS, the church has provided assistance to those in need through a food ministry, an annual Labor Day Bar-B-Que and flea market, and a rummage and bake sale sponsored by the United Methodist Women of Dodson Chapel; and
WHEREAS, it is fitting and proper that the Metropolitan Council recognize and congratulate the congregation of Dodson Chapel United Methodist Church on the occasion of the church’s 200th anniversary.
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY:
Section 1. The Metropolitan Council hereby goes on record as recognizing Dodson Chapel United Methodist Church on the occasion its 200th anniversary and acknowledging the spiritual and educational programming the church has offered to the local community throughout its existence.
Section 2. The Metropolitan Council Office is directed to prepare a copy of this Resolution to be presented to the Dodson Chapel United Methodist Church congregation.
Section 3. This Resolution shall take effect from and after its adoption, the welfare of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County requiring it.
Sponsored by: Bruce Stanley, Jacobia Dowell
|Referred to:||Rules & Confirmations Committee|
|Introduced:||January 8, 2013|
|Adopted:||January 8, 2013|
|Approved:||January 9, 2013|