RESOLUTION NO. RS2013-689
A resolution honoring the tenth anniversary of the Sister City Partnership between Nashville, Tennessee and Magdeburg, Germany.
WHEREAS, on October 16, 2002, this Council unanimously passed a resolution supporting a Sister City relationship between Nashville and Magdeburg, Germany; and
WHEREAS, on May 28, 2003, Mayor Bill Purcell of Nashville and Lord Mayor Dr. Lutz Trümper of Magdeburg signed a treaty establishing a formal Sister City relationship between the two cities; and
WHEREAS, the stated goals of that treaty were to support and further, to the mutual interest of our two communities, exchanges in the areas of economic development, tourism, culture and fine art, sports, public administration and education; and
WHEREAS, in the ten years of the partnership, the two cities, under the leadership of Lord Mayor Trümper, Mayor Purcell and Mayor Karl Dean, with the assistance of citizen-led organizations like Sister Cities of Nashville, Inc. and the German-American Dialogue Center in Magdeburg, and the work of countless volunteers have sponsored numerous exchanges, programs, and projects including, but not limited to:
1. The Magdeburg-Nashville Cultural week in April 2004, which saw the reenactment of the vacuum experiments of Otto-von-Guericke, performances by the world-famous Magdeburg Puppet Theater and the Telemann Baroque Music Ensemble.
2. The 2005 performance of the transatlantic theater project: “Das Treffen/The Other Side.”
3. The 2009 commemoration of the 20th Anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall, including panel discussions with leaders of the German democratic resistance and veterans of the 1960s Nashville sit-ins.
4. The dedication of a pedestrian pathway in Magdeburg as “Nashville Promenade” and a portion of the Nashville Greenway as “Magdeburg Greenway.”
5. The annual sponsorship of programs enabling young German men and women to spend a social service year in Nashville working as volunteers at organizations like the Martha O’Bryan Center, Preston Taylor Homes and Siloam Family Health Center.
6. Annual exchanges of high-school students.
7. Higher education partnerships bringing students from the Otto-von-Guericke University in Magdeburg together with students from Tennessee State University and Vanderbilt University in Nashville.
8. The raising of money by the city of Magdeburg to assist Nashville during the flood of 2010.
9. Ongoing exchanges in theater, visual arts, music, and puppet theater.
WHEREAS, these exchanges and programs have been extraordinarily beneficial to the citizens of Nashville and Magdeburg; and
WHEREAS, from May 26, 2013, to May 31, 2013, Mayor Dean will officially welcome Dr. Lutz Trümper, the Lord Mayor of Magdeburg, Vice-Mayor, Rüdiger Koch and other guests from Magdeburg to Nashville for the commemoration of the Tenth Anniversary of the signing of the Sister Cities Charter; and
WHEREAS, the Council of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County wishes to welcome and honor our visitors from Magdeburg, who have contributed so much to the cultural enrichment of this City.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY:
Section 1. The Metropolitan Council hereby Issues this resolution honoring the tenth anniversary of the Sister City Partnership between Nashville, Tennessee and Magdeburg, Germany.
Section 2. The Metropolitan Council hereby offers a heartfelt welcome and sincere thanks to the City of Magdeburg, its Lord Mayor, Dr. Lutz Trümper, the Magdeburg City Parliament, the membership and board of the German American Dialogue Center in Magdeburg, Sister Cities of Nashville, and to all of the citizens in both cities who have contributed to the success of this partnership.
Section 3. The Metropolitan Council Office is directed to prepare a copy of this Resolution to be presented to Dr. Lutz Trümper and the delegation from Magdeburg.
Section 4. This Resolution shall take effect from and after its adoption, the welfare of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County requiring it.
Sponsored by: Burkley Allen, Frank Harrison, Anthony Davis, Tim Garrett, Tony Tenpenny, Josh Stites, Charlie Tygard, Phil Claiborne, Steve Glover, Buddy Baker, Doug Pardue, Ronnie Stein, Duane Dominy, Chris Harmon], Scott Davis, Emily Evans, Jacobia Dowell, Megan Barry, Carter Todd, Sandra Moore, Jason Potts, Karen Johnson, Lonnell Matthews, Erica Gilmore, Darren Jernigan, Brady Banks, Bo Mitchell, Karen Bennett, Jason Holleman, Sean McGuire
|Referred to:||Rules & Confirmations Committee|
|Introduced:||May 7, 2013|
|Adopted:||May 7, 2013|
|Approved:||May 9, 2013|
Requests for ADA accommodation should be directed to Ana Escobar at 615/862-6770.