Skip to Content

Home Occupation Permits

On July 7, 2020, the Metro Council adopted legislation allowing certain types of businesses to operate in residential homes by creating new permitting regulations. This legislation expires January 7, 2023, unless extended by the Metro Council.

Apply for a Home Occupation Permit

To obtain a home occupation permit, email The following materials will be required:

  • An affidavit, to be provided by the Codes department, affirming that:
    • Operating the home occupation does not violate any homeowners association agreement or bylaws, condominium agreement, covenants, codes and restrictions, lease or any other agreement governing and limiting use of the property.
    • If the applicant is not the property owner, that the property owner is aware of and does not object to the home occupation.
    • The property is the primary residence of the home occupation permit holder.
  • Two documents indicating proof of primary residence.
  • Proof of written notification to the owner of each adjacent property must be provided prior to permit application.

Regulations to consider before applying for a home occupation permit:

  • Owners of the property must be natural persons or trust (not a limited liability entity, corporation, partnership, or joint venture).
  • Permit applicants must be the owner of the property, a relative of the owner, or, if a renter, must have at least a one-year lease for the property.
  • In single-family and two-family zoning districts, no more than one home occupation permit may be issued per lot.
  • Only one permit may be issued per property owner, and no person may be issued more than one permit.
  • Permits may not be transferred or assigned to others.

Visit the hubNashville information portal for additional information about home occupation regulations including how to report violations.