Cost Accounting - Cost Planning Program
The purpose of the Cost Planning Program is to provide planning, implementation and support products to Metro departments and agencies so they can manage key products costs within predetermined performance targets and use the cost information to make resource and operational improvement decisions.
Cost Accounting Services-Key Responsibilities
- Development of cost accounting guidelines
- Technical assistance to Metro agencies on the preparation of indirect cost rate proposals and departmental cost allocation plans
- Training to Metro agencies regarding cost accounting guidelines and procedures
- Assistance to Metro agencies with resolving indirect cost rate disputes with Federal and/or State grantor agencies
- Technical assistance to Metro agencies on preparing billing rate structures
- Full cost analyses of Internal Service and Enterprise Funds
- Monitoring the recovery of indirect costs from grantor agencies
- Serves as the Metro liaison on cost accounting issues with external stakeholders and business partners
Cost Recovery Briefings
The following are briefings (training) that were provided to Metro departments and agencies in 2004.
Metro's Local Cost Allocation Plan (LOCAP)
This is the Metro Nashville central services cost allocation plan. Most governmental units provide certain services, such as motor pools, computer centers, purchasing, accounting, etc., to operating agencies on a centralized basis. Since federally-supported awards are performed within the individual operating agencies, there needs to be a process whereby these central service costs can be identified and assigned to benefited activities on a reasonable and consistent basis. The central service cost allocation plan provides that process. All costs and other data used to distribute the costs included in the plan should be supported by formal accounting and other records that will support the propriety of the costs assigned to Federal awards.
Department of Finance
Division of Grants and Accountability, Grants and Cost Planning
700 2nd Avenue South, Suite 201
Nashville, TN 37210
Email Herbert Majors, CPA 615-862-6483