Unclaimed Property (Finance)
Unclaimed Property refers to unclaimed funds that originated through normal business transactions with the city of Nashville and Davidson County. Unclaimed or abandoned property includes the following examples:
- Uncashed vendor/payroll checks more than several months old
- Uncashed refunds or overpayments more than several months old
- Electronic payments returned by the bank, and belonging to owners who cannot be located
- Deposits held
- Escrow accounts no longer needed
- Miscellaneous uncashed outstanding checks more than several months old
- Tangible unclaimed or abandoned property (items other than money belonging to others).
Any funds not belonging to the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County that are still unclaimed have been reported to and transferred to the State of Tennessee. We notify owners of unclaimed property only during the months of August and September.
Unclaimed Property Not in Metro's Custody
For information about additional unclaimed property not in Metro's custody, you can visit the State of Tennessee Unclaimed Property Division website or call 866-370-9429.