Property owners can now apply online for Fire Code Operational Permits at ePermits. The online system allows a property owner or an owner’s authorized agent to:
- Submit an application for an operational permit that allows the applicant to conduct an operation for which a permit is required by section 105.6 of the 2012 International Fire Code (IFC), the adopted fire code in Metropolitan Nashville.
- Upload documents for review required by the conditions of the permit.
- Pay fees for permit(s).
- View the progress of submitted applications.
Operational Permits Required by the Fire Code
According to the Metropolitan Fire Prevention Code (Metro Code of Ordinances Chapter 10.64) a property owner or owner’s authorized agent who intends to conduct an operation or business, or install or modify systems and equipment that are regulated by this code, shall first make application to the Fire Marshal’s office to obtain the required permit.
Operational Permits required by the Nashville Fire Marshal along with the permit fees
|Activity or Operation
||An operational permit is required for the manufacture, storage, handling, sale or use of any quantity of explosives, explosive materials, fireworks or pyrotechnic special effects within the scope of Chapter 56 of the 2012 IFC.
|Mobile Food Vendor LP Gas
||An operational permit is required for: Storage and use of LP-gas in Mobile Food Trucks.
|Open Burning (Air Curtain)
- An operational permit is required for the kindling or maintaining of an open fire or a fire on any public street, alley, road, or other public or private ground. Instructions and stipulations of the permit shall be adhered to. Exception: Recreational fires.
- In addition, the Metro Health Department requires a permit for fires used for disposing of materials grown on a tract of land, when done with an approved Air Curtain device, at sites approved by the director and the fire marshal, and with a valid permit from the director and the fire marshal. Air Curtain Destructor Guidelines
|Pyrotechnic or special effects Material
||An operational permit is required for use and handling of pyrotechnic special effects material.
|Tents and Temporary Membrane Structures
||An operational permit is required to operate an air-supported temporary membrane structure or a tent having an area in excess of 400 square feet (37 m2).
- Tents used exclusively for recreational camping purposes.
- Tents open on all sides, which comply with all of the following:
- Individual tents having a maximum size of 700 square feet (65 m2).
- The aggregate area of multiple tents placed side by side without a fire break clearance of not less than 12 feet (3658 mm) shall not exceed 700 square feet (65 m2) total.
- A minimum clearance of 12 feet (3658 mm) to structures and other tents shall be provided.
ePermits Online Permit Application Users Guide
The Nashville Fire Marshal’s office has created a user’s manual to guide you through the process. It is a step-by-step guide to assist you in applying for a permit.
Download the ePermits Online Permit Application Users Guide
Required Documents for Each Permit Type
Before you begin the application process, you must have certain documents required by the Fire Code available to attach to the submission. The list below outlines each permit type and the documents you will be asked to submit electronically.
Mobile Food Vendor LP Gas
- Current hood service inspection (if installed) with Records of hood cleaning
Open Burning (Air Curtain)
- Copy of Metro Health Department Air Curtain Permit (if applicable)
- Site Plan of open burn
Pyrotechnic or Special Effects Material (Fireworks)
- List of Fireworks to be used and designated D.O.T. class for each firework
- Diagram of launch or firing area detailing all launch or firing activity and safety precautions. Include fallout area with dimensions; North Arrow; Likely wind direction; location of significant roadways, access points and control points; traffic plans indicating flow of vehicles into and out of the site before and after the display.
- Insurance Certificate with an aggregate amount of $1,000,000 with Metro Government listed as an insured.
- Copy of company’s State Pyro license
- Copy of State Pyro operator’s license
Tents and Temporary Membrane Structures
- Site map showing location of tents on the property and including proximity to structures
- Lay out of contents under tent including marking of required exits on tents with sides
Apply online for Fire Code Operational Permits at ePermits.