Skip to Content

Nashville Fire Marshal Office Permits

Permits are issued by the Nashville Fire Department to allow certain activities. These permits give permission to:

  1. use, handle, maintain and store flammable/combustible and hazardous materials,
  2. conduct certain activities that will decrease conditions that may present a hazard to people or property, i.e. fire watch, and
  3. install or remove equipment.

The online system allows a property owner or an owner’s authorized agent to:

  • Submit an application for an operational permit that allows the applicant to conduct an operation for which a permit is required by section 105.6 of the 2012 International Fire Code (IFC), the adopted fire code in Metropolitan Nashville.
  • Upload documents for review required by the conditions of the permit.
  • Pay fees for permit(s).
  • View the progress of submitted applications.

Property and Business Owners can now apply online for Fire Code Operational Permits at ePermits.

Download the ePermits Online Permit Application Users Guide

Permits Terms

The permit holder is responsible for compliance: Any person, persons or entity issued a permit assumes all liability and responsibility for any activity conducted under the authority of the permit or any actions resulting from activities authorized by the permit.

The Permit can be revoked if the terms and conditions of the permit as set forth are not adhered to.

Permit Applications are to be submitted at least 10 business days prior to the onset of the operation/condition or activity.

Permit Fees are non-refundable and are due at the time of application submittal.

Permits are assigned to a Person, Persons, Entity named therein, and authorization to be assigned, transferred or delegated to another person, persons, or entity is prohibited unless and except as provided by such permit.

Permit applications may require an inspection from the Fire Marshal’s Office prior to the issuance of the permit. Depending on the permit inspections may be one-time, regular or reoccurring.

Operational Permits Required by the Fire Code

According to the Metropolitan Fire Prevention Code (Metro Code of Ordinances Chapter 10.64) a property owner or owner’s authorized agent who intends to conduct an operation or business, or install or modify systems and equipment that are regulated by this code, shall first make application to the Fire Marshal’s office to obtain the required permit.

The following is a list of Operational and Use Permits and the requirements for making application and complying with the requirements of the International Fire Code (2012 Edition). Application submittals shall be applied for a minimum of 10 business days prior to the event or inspection date. Permits are issued with the understanding that the operation will comply with the requirements set forth by the fire code. (The acronym ITM stands for Inspection, Testing and Maintenance)

You will be expected to enter the correct property address for the location. If you need assistance with determining the proper location for an event or use and are unable to locate that using this system, please contact 615-862-5230 or you may use metro's interactive map.

Mobile Food Concession Vehicles may use their home location or commissary address even if it is outside of Davidson County. Concession vehicles that are permanently located on a parcel must list that address and have a proper permit from the Codes Department to be permanently located on that property.

If a Fire Alarm and/or Fire Sprinkler System are required by the permit they shall be monitored by an approved central station.

Activity or Operation Permit Required Length of Permit Permit Fee
Aerosol Storage A permit is required for the storage of aerosol products if more than 500 pounds of Level 2, Level 3 or a combination of the two are maintained on site at any point whether indoors or outdoors. 12 months $222
Air Curtain (open burning) An operational permit is required for the kindling or maintaining of an open fire or a fire on any public street, alley, road, or other public or private ground. Instructions and stipulations of the permit shall be adhered to. Exception: Recreational fires. In addition, the Metro Health Department requires a permit for fires used for disposing of materials grown on a tract of land, when done with an approved Air Curtain device, at sites approved by the director and the fire marshal, and with a valid permit from the director and the fire marshal. Prescribed time given by Health Department $222
Amusement Buildings A permit is required for the operation of an amusement building as defined by the 2012 IFC. Examples include but may not be limited to: Haunted Houses, Mazes, House of Mirrors, Escape Rooms, etc. 12 months or the duration of the event $111
Blasting (Explosives) An operations permit is required for the manufacture, storage, handling, sale or use of any quantity of explosives, explosive materials fireworks or pyrotechnic special effects within the scope of Chapter 56 of the 2012 IFC. 6 Months $222
Compressed Gas Storage An operational permit is required for the storage, use or handling or normal temperature and pressure (NTP) of compressed gases in excess of the amounts listed in Table 105.6.8 of 2012 IFC. Except: vehicles equipped for and using compressed gas as a fuel for propelling the vehicle. 12 Months $222
Concession Trailer/Food Truck (Mobile Food Vendors) An operational permit is required for: Storage and use of LP-gas in Mobile Food Vehicles.
Trailers or trucks that are permanently (not moveable) located on site using propane must apply for the LPG Propane permit only.
Do not use the mobile vendor permit application.
12 Months $56
Cutting and Welding A permit is required for any and all welding, cutting, open torches and hot works operations. 12 months or the duration of the event $56
Dry Cleaning A permit is required for dry cleaning operations where cleaning solvents are used and stored whether inside or outside. If your facility is a drop off only with no solvents, you are not required to obtain a permit. 12 months $56
Flammable and Combustible Liquids An operational permit is required for Flammable and Combustible Liquid use, storage, handling, manufacturing, etc. See Document Flammable & Combustible Liquids. 12 months $445
LPG Propane An operational permit is required for the storage and use of LP-gas 12 months or the duration of the event $56
Open Flames and Candles An operational permit is required to use open flames or candles in connection with assembly areas, dining areas of restaurants or drinking establishments. 12 months or the duration of the event $56
Private Fire Hydrants An operational permit is required for the removal from service, use or operation of private fire hydrants. Coming Soon Duration of the event $111
Pyrotechnic and Flame/Special Effects Material An operational permit is required for use and handling of pyrotechnic special effects material. Duration of the event $222
Repair Garages and Motor Fuel-Dispensing Facilities An operational permit is required for the operation of repair garages and automotive, marine and fleet motor fuel-dispensing facilities. Coming Soon 12 months $445
Special Event Fire Watch A permit is required when in the opinion of the fire code official, it is essential for public safety in a place of assembly or any other place where people congregate, because of the number of persons, or the nature of the performance, exhibition, display, contest or activity. Duration of the event not applicable
Tents and Temporary Membrane Structures An operational permit is required to operate an air-supported temporary membrane structure or a tent having an area in excess of 400 square feet. Exceptions: 1) Tents used exclusively for recreational camping purposes. 2) Tents open on all sides, which comply with all of the following: a) Individual tents having a maximum size of 700 square feet. b) the aggregate area of multiple tents placed side by side without a fire break clearance of not less than 12 feet shall not exceed 700 square feet total. c) A minimum clearance of 12 feet to structures and other tents shall be provided. Duration of the event or no more than 180 days in a 12 month period $111
Wood Products An operational permit is required to store chips, hogged material, lumber or plywood in excess of 200 cubic feet. 12 months $111

ePermits Online Permit Application Users Guide

The Nashville Fire Marshal’s office has created a user’s manual to guide you through the process. It is a step-by-step guide to assist you in applying for a permit.

Download the ePermits Online Permit Application Users Guide

Required Documents for Each Permit Type

Before you begin the application process, you must have certain documents required by the Fire Code available to attach to the submission. The attached documents outline each permit type and the documents you will be asked to submit electronically.

Apply online for Fire Code Operational Permits at ePermits.