The PrEP Clinic provides confidential testing, counseling services, and pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) prescriptions for individuals at high-risk for exposure to HIV. These medications, when taken as prescribed, can help protect an individual that is at high-risk for HIV from being infected with it. Daily use can reduce the risk of contracting HIV from sex by more than 99%. Among people who inject drugs, our program reduces the risk of contracting HIV by more than 74%.
Candidates include (but are not limited to):
- Individuals with an HIV+ partner
- Individuals who have a history of inconsistent or no condom use during sex
- Individuals who have a large number of sexual partners
- Individuals who have been diagnosed with a sexually transmitted infection (STI) in the past 6 months
- Individuals who engage in commercial sex work
- Individuals who engage in IV drug use
- Individuals who engage in transactional sex
- Individuals who have been prescribed post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP)
To make an appointment, contact the sexual health clinic at 615-340-5647. Please state that you would like an appointment in the PrEP Clinic.
A legal photo ID, verification of insurance (if applicable), and any important medical records should be presented at the time of service.
The clinic operates on an appointment based system to allow us to see individuals in a timelier manner. Walk-ins may be seen depending on staffing or demand for service.
There is a $10 fee for each appointment to the clinic. This covers lab tests and sexually transmitted infection screening. Currently, the Metro Public Health Department is able to accept TennCare, BlueCare, Amerigroup and Medicare. Any other insurance information can be filed, but this will not affect your $10 co-payment per office visit.
Traditionally, these medications can cost anywhere from $3,000-$4,000 per month out of pocket. However, our PrEP Program Specialist will work to have as much of the medication costs covered as the patient qualifies for through a patient assistance program.
The PrEP Clinic is located at:
Lentz Public Health Center
2500 Charlotte Avenue
Nashville, TN 37209
Call 615-340-5647 to schedule an appointment. Please state that you would like an appointment in the PrEP clinic.
PrEP Clinic Hours
Please note: the last walk-in accepted on days we are open is at 2:30 p.m.
- Monday: 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m
- Tuesday: 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m
- Wednesday: 9 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- Thursday: 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- Closed Saturday and Sunday
This clinic observes the official Metro holidays.
Please contact the clinic for any further questions. You can call 615-340-5647, or email us at MPHDPrEPClinic@nashville.gov.
Learn more: PrEP Clinic Fact Sheet