Skip to Content

Disaster Preparedness and Response Information for Owners of Properties in Historic Overlays and Properties Over 50 Years of Age

Tornados, floods and other natural disasters have inflicted enormous suffering and property damage across many parts of Davidson County. The Metro Historic Zoning Commission offers the following information to assist historic property owners in recovering from a natural disaster.

Contact Us

Email or call 615-862-7970, extension 0.

What Assistance Is Available for Historic Properties?

The Metro Historical Commission/Metro Historic Zoning Commission can provide technical restoration services to owners of historic properties and cemeteries affected by a natural disaster. Staff will consult, free of charge, with nonprofit organizations, churches, and private citizens about damage and recommend repairs to historic properties. Services include telephone/email consultations, copies of technical articles, and on-site inspections and general evaluations. Photographs of storm related damage can greatly facilitate telephone/email consultations about your historic property's needs. Although we cannot make recommendations we do have list of service and product providers that are familiar with older buildings.

The federal tax code provides a twenty percent tax credit for the substantial rehabilitation of income-producing historic buildings that meet the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation.

The president has approved Tennessee's request for Major Disaster Declaration. Individuals can register with FEMA in the following ways:

  • Apply for disaster assistance online or call 1-800-621-3362.
  • Those with disability or hearing loss and use TTY, call 1-800-462-7585.
  • Those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.

Although there are no special federal, state or local grants currently available to owners of historic properties affected by natural disasters, historic properties may be entitled to additional consideration from private insurers and state and federal relief agencies. Be sure to indicate on all claims or requests for assistance that your property is or may be historic.

Several local lenders now offer financial assistance dedicated to victims of the March 2020 tornado. Wilson Bank and Trust has earmarked $100 million for low-interest construction loans and lines of credit for affected residents who sustained home damage. The loans will offer a 12-month fixed interest rate that is half the current standard. Nashville-based Pathway Lending and Pinnacle Bank announced a joint partnership that will provide $4 million in small business loans. Through April 30, business may apply for loans as large as $50,000. Please contact these lenders directly to see if you qualify for these incentives. Other similar funding may be attainable through additional local lenders.

Homeowners and business affected by the tornado may also contact the U.S. Small Business Administration for relief under the disaster loans program.

How You Can Help