Stay up to date on Metro’s tornado response and recovery efforts with our Storm Response Information page.


Stay up to date on Metro’s COVID-19 Coronavirus response.

Skip to Content

Historical Markers - Military Sites

Visit Civil War Sesquicentennial for additional Civil War Markers.

Battle of Nashville - Assault on the Barricade

During the retreat from Nashville, Colonel Edmund Rucker’s brigade attempted to block the Union pursuit by erecting a barricade of fence rails and logs across Granny White Pike, ½ mile south of this spot. During the ensuing night attack by Union cavalry, fierce hand-to-hand fighting took place until the position finally was overrun around midnight, with Rucker wounded and then captured.

Donated by Richland Country Club

Location: Granny White Pike
Erected: 2008

Back to top

Battle of Nashville - Confederate Final Stand, December 16, 1864

After the withdrawal from the main Confederate line at Peach Orchard Hill, Lt. Gen. Stephen D. Lee formed a battle line across Franklin Pike 400 yards east of here with 200 men from the remnants of Brig. Gen. Henry Clayton’s division and two cannons from the Eufaula Light Artillery. This last line of defense halted the Federal pursuit for the night as the Confederate army retreated through the hills to the southwest.

Location: 827 Tyne Blvd

Erected: 2008

Back to top

Battle of Nashville - Confederate Line

Trenches about 20ft. N of this point, held by Loring’s Division, were the center of the Confederate main line before the Battle of Nashville. On Dec. 15, 1864, Redoubt #1, a key artillery salient 200 yds. NW, fired on Federal forces until overrun by General Wood’s troops late in the day, when Confederates retreated toward Granny White Pike.

Location: 1808 Woodmont Blvd

Erected: 1992

Back to top

Battle of Nashville - Federal Main Line

On Dec., 16, 1864, the Federal 16th Corps under Gen. A.J. Smith joined the 23rd Corps under John M. Schofield approx. 1000 ft. north of here. From that line at about 4:00 p.m. the 1st Brigade of Gen. John McArthur’s 1st Division launched the assault that broke the Confederate line at the salient on Shy’s Hill to the southeast, which resulted in the rout of Hood’s Army.

Location:

Erected: 1975, replaced in 2019

Back to top

Battle of Nashville — Peach Orchard Hill

On Dec., 16, 1864, Gen. S.D. Lee’s Corps, Army of Tennessee, held this right flank of Hood’s defense line which ran south along the crest of this ridge. Violent artillery fire and infantry attacks by the corps of Wood & Steedman failed to dislodge the defenders who withdrew only after the collapse of the Confederate left and center in late afternoon.

Location: Harding Place and Peach Orchard Dr

Erected: 1970

Back to top

Battle of Nashville — Shy's Hill

On this hill was fought the decisive encounter of the Battle of Nashville December 16, 1864. At 4:15 p.m. a Federal assault at the angle on top of the hill broke the Confederate line. Col. W. M. Shy, 20th Tenn. Inf. was killed and Gen.T. B. Smith was captured. The Confederates retreated over the Overton Hills to the Franklin Pike.

Location: W side of Benton Smith Rd, S of Harding Pl at bottom of Shy’s Hill 

Erected: 1968

Back to top

Battle of Nashville — Stewart's Line

Loring’s division of Stewart’s Corps, Hood’s confederate Army of Tennessee, fought behind this stone wall Dec. 16, 1864. All Federal attacks were beaten back until the Confederate line was broken a mile to the west. The division retreated south through the hills toward Brentwood.

Location: E side of Lealand Ln S of Battery Ln at old Kirkman Ln

Erected:1968

Back to top

Blackwood Field

In 1921 the State rented land west of Shute Lane and erected two hangars here for the 105th Observation Squadron, Tennessee National Guard. The airfield of about 100 acres was named for H. O. blackwood, who gave $1,000 to aid the project. the first airmail flight from Nashville was from here to Chicago July 29, 1924. Airplanes used the field until 1928.

Location: Shute Lane 0.3 miles n of Lebanon Rd, Hermitage

Erected: 1970

Back to top

Dry-Stack Stone Walls

Dry-stack stone walls, a Scots-Irish building tradition adapted by slaves in the early 19th century, were common throughout middle Tennessee. During the 1864 Battle of Nashville, Brigadier General Henry Jackson was captured at this wall on the Middle Franklin Turnpike after the Confederate line collapsed at Shy’s Hill.

Location: 4708 Granny White Pike

Erected: 2008

Back to top

First Airfield

E. L. Hampton’s pasture became “Hampton Field” when transient airplanes began landing here during the first World War. About 2,000 feet long from here west, bonded north and south by Golf Club Lane and Woodmont Boulevard, it continued in use as Nashville’s first airfield about five years until the opening of Blackwood Field in 1921.

Location: 2305 Hampton Ave

Erected: 1970

Back to top

Fort Negley Site

The guns of Fort Negley, commanding three turnpikes to the South & Southeast, opened the Battle of Nashville, Dec. 15, 1864. this site was selected by Capt. J.S. Morton as the key strongpoint in the Federal line around the city. The European style fort named for General James S. Negley, was built of stone, logs, earth and railway iron.

Location: Chestnut St & Ridley Ave

Erected: 1975

Back to top

McConnell Field

In 1927 the City bought 131 acres from Warren Sloan and made this the Nashville airport, named for Lieut. Brower McConnell, Tennessee National Guard pilot who died that year in an air crash. the hangars were 50 yards east. Aircraft outgrew the field in the 1930s and moved to Sky Harbor and Berry Field. the Park Board began the golf course in 1939.

Location: Murphy Rd by clubhouse in McCabe Park

Erected 1970

Back to top

Surrender of Nashville/ East Bank of the Cumberland

On Feb. 25, 1862, Nashville became the first Confederate state capital to fall to Federal forces. Two days prior, the 4th Ohio Vol. Cavalry arrived from Bowling Green, KY and set up pickets along the east bank of the river. Gen. D.C. Buell arrived by rail with about 9,000 men, and on Feb. 25, Gen. William Nelson and a flotilla carrying around 7,000 men arrived from the recent surrender at Fort Donelson. That afternoon, Mayor R.B. Cheatham surrendered the city to Gen. Buell.

Location: Cumberland Park Greenway

Erected: 2017

Back to top

Surrender of Nashville/ Charles Fuller Home

After Union successes to the north in TN and KY, Col. John Kennett, 4th Ohio Vol. Cavalry, ordered Cpt. H.C. Rodgers to Edgefield. They met with Nashville mayor R.B. Cheatham, Feb. 23, 1862, at the Edgefield home of banker Charles Fuller, to discuss terms of surrender. The city was conveyed to Union control on Feb. 25. Fuller became a U.S. Treasury agent at the end of the war prior to his death in 1868. The Fuller home was destroyed in the East Nashville Fire of 1916.

Location: 612 Woodland St, East Park

Erected: 2017

Back to top