Skip to Content

Federal Veterans Dependent and Survivor Benefits

Dependency Indemnity Compensation

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation is a tax free monetary benefit generally payable to a surviving spouse, child, or parent of Service members who died while on active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty training or survivors of Veterans who died from their service-connected disabilities. This compensation for parents is an income based benefit.

Survivor’s Pension

The Survivors Pension benefit, which may also be referred to as Death Pension, is a tax-free monetary benefit payable to a low-income, un-remarried surviving spouse and/or minor child(ren) of a deceased Veteran with wartime service. Non-reimbursed medical expenses can be used to offset an income that would otherwise be over the threshold.

Some non-traditional examples of non-reimbursed medical expense could include; arch supports, medical insurance premiums, transportation expenses to and from doctor's office or hospital, hearing aids and batteries, as well as other expenses.


CHAMPVA is the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs and is administered by the Health Administration Center in Denver, Colorado. VA is authorized to provide medical care in the same or similar manner and subject to the same or similar limitations as medical care furnished to certain dependents and survivors of active duty and retired members of the Armed Forces. The CHAMPVA program is designed to accomplish this purpose. Under CHAMPVA, VA shares the cost of medically necessary services and supplies for eligible beneficiaries.

Dependent’s Educational Assistance

The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

Special Monthly Compensation

If your medical conditioned has worsened, you may be eligible for special monthly compensation. If you are a veteran whose service connected disabilities are necessitating the aid and attendance of another person or are housebound, or if you are a spouse whose medical health requires such aid with activities of daily living, you may be eligible for additional compensation.

If you believe you may qualify for additional compensation based on your ever worsening healthcare needs, please print out VA Form 21-2680 and ask your doctor to complete it as thoroughly as possible. This form will give the VA a medical opinion of your medical needs.