Individuals who earn an associate’s degree earn nearly one-third more over their lifetime, compared to those with just a high school diploma. By the year 2020, 60% of jobs will require some postsecondary education and training. Despite this trend, many barriers prevent recent high school graduates and adults from advancing their degrees.
Created in partnership with Nashville State Community College (NSCC) and Tennessee College of Applied Technology (TCAT) Nashville, the Nashville GRAD program will provide financial assistance for full-time students pursuing higher education in Davidson County. Students will also receive wraparound services including academic and career counseling.
For eligible students, Nashville GRAD will offer financial assistance in purchasing textbooks, transportation, industry certification fees, and emergency needs (NSCC students) or in paying for industry certification fees and tools/equipment (TCAT Nashville).
Eligible students must meet residency requirements, not have previously earned an associates or baccalaureate degree, participate in Nashville GRAD’s academic and personal success initiatives, and meet other requirements.
When fully implemented, Nashville GRAD students will enter the local workforce with advanced skills. At Nashville State, 50% of students will graduate and complete degrees in 3 years. At TCAT Nashville, 66% of students will complete industry certifications.
This program is not currently accepting applications, but is slated to begin in Spring 2019. To receive more information about Nashville GRAD or to receive notification about the application process, sign up for updates via email here.
Eligible students must:
- Enroll full-time at Nashville State Community College in an Associate Degree or Technical Certificate or a full time program at TCAT Nashville;
- Reside in Davidson County one year prior to completing the FAFSA;
- Not have previously earned an associates or baccalaureate degree.
In order to maintain eligibility, students must:
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA or TCAT Equivalent;
- Complete the FAFSA each year;
- Maintain eligibility for Tennessee Promise or Tennessee Reconnect, if applicable;
- Participate in Nashville GRAD’s academic and personal success initiatives.
Targeted Financial Assistance
- At Nashville State, students will be supported in purchasing textbooks, transportation, technology fees, industry certification fees, and emergency needs.
- At TCAT Nashville, students will receive support in paying for industry certification fees and tools/equipment.
Intensive Academic and Professional Supports
- At full implementation, Nashville State student cohorts will participate in blocked course scheduling, receive hands-on tutoring, be paired with academic and career advisors, and engage in leadership development activities.
- At TCAT, student cohorts will continue to benefit from existing robust mentorship and guidance.
When fully implemented, Nashville GRAD students will enter the local workforce with advanced skills.
- At Nashville State, 50% of students will graduate and complete degrees in 3 years.
- At TCAT Nashville, 66% of students will complete industry certifications.