Mayor's Office Internship Program
The Mayor’s Office strives to create real-world opportunities for interns to see how local government shapes the community. Interns are assigned to a staff member to gain expertise in a particular area and work on independent projects. In short, interns help the Mayor’s Office “get stuff done.”
Unpaid positions are available during the fall, spring and summer semesters. Students must be able to work at least 10 hours per week in the fall and spring semesters. During the summer, students must be available to work a minimum of 21 hours. Students are encouraged to receive course credit for the experience.
Areas of focus include:
- Legislative Research and Writing
- Economic and Community Development
- Communications / Press
- Healthy / Active Living and Community Engagement
- Environment & Energy Efficiency
- Economic Opportunity and Poverty Issues
- Innovation and Technology
- Domestic Violence
How to Apply
Applicants must submit:
- Professional resume and cover letter outlining your interest in working in local government
- Two letters of recommendation – one letter should be from a college professor familiar with your academic work, the other should be from a supervisor or other person familiar with your character and/or work ethic (not a relative)
- Writing sample of no more than 1,500 words (may be an excerpt from a longer piece of work)
Completed applications should be sent as PDF attachments to email@example.com .
E-mails expressing interest to intern in the area of domestic violence with the Office of Family Safety/Jean Crowe Advocacy Center should be sent to both Bijalmehta@jis.nashville.org and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Letters should be addressed to Ronnie Steine, Youth Policy Consultant.
The Mayor's Office will acknowledge receipt of materials within one week of submission. Interns are accepted on a rolling basis. Preference is given to applications received by the following dates: Aug. 15 for fall semester, Nov. 15 for spring semester, and April 15 for summer semester. However, applications submitted after those dates will be considered if space is available.