Mayor's Office Internship Program
The Mayor’s Office strives to create real-world opportunities for interns to see how local government shapes the community. Interns are assigned to a staff member to gain expertise in a particular area and work on independent projects.
Positions are available during the spring and summer semesters. Students must be able to work at least 15 hours per week in the spring semester. During the summer, students must be available to work a minimum of 21 hours per week. Students are encouraged to receive course credit for the experience.
Areas of focus available will change from semester to semester, but may include:
- Affordable Housing
- Economic and Community Development
- Environment and Sustainability
- Neighborhoods and Community Engagement
- New Americans
- Performance Management (Business Administration, Finance, Math, Supply Chain Management)
- Transportation and Infrastructure
- Youth and Education
Spring internship program
- Term: January 6, 2020-April 17, 2020
- Application deadline: Still accepting for full and part-time positions
- Rolling admission
Summer internship program
- Term: May 26, 2020-August 7, 2020
- Application deadline: February 28, 2020
- Notifications sent by March 13, 2020
Applicants must be present for the first day, no exceptions. Summer internships are full time only. No internships are paid (but this is subject to change for eligible students).
How to Apply
Applicants must submit:
- Professional resume and cover letter outlining your interest in working in local government
- Two letters of recommendation – one letter should be from a college professor familiar with your academic work, the other should be from a supervisor or other person familiar with your character and/or work ethic (not a relative)
- Writing sample of no more than 500 words (may be an excerpt from a longer piece of work)
Completed applications should be sent as PDF attachments to Kathy.Floyd-Buggs@nashville.gov, Director of Neighborhoods.
The Mayor's Office will acknowledge receipt of materials within one week of submission. Interns are accepted on a rolling basis. Preference is given to applications received by the following dates: October 30 for spring semester, and February 15 for summer semester. However, applications submitted after those dates will be considered if space is available.