Door-to-Door Solicitation Permits
In Davidson County, any company conducting residential door-to-door solicitation of any goods, wares, merchandise, or services must first apply for a solicitation permit with the Metropolitan Clerk’s Office. These permits are valid for two years.
The complete Metro Code can be viewed here: Metropolitan Code §6.64
Who is exempt?
- Books sales or other expressive works
- Newspaper or magazine subscriptions
- You have the right to ask a solicitor for their identification badge.
- An owner or lawful occupant may register their residence for the "no knock” list. The address will be on the registry for 365 days. This list is for residential properties only and does not apply to businesses.
- You may post a “No Trespassing” or “No Solicitation” sign which is visible at your residence which prohibits all door-to-door solicitation whether they have a permit or not.
- No action by a citizen (i.e. not registering or no signage) will result in door-to-door commercial solicitation by permitted solicitors.