Mayor Megan Barry Executive Order Number 027
THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY
MEGAN BARRY, MAYOR
Subject: Healthy Nashville Leadership Council
I, Megan Barry, Mayor of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, by virtue of the power and authority vested in me, do hereby find, direct and order the following:
I. The Metropolitan Government desires to improve the health of its citizens by assessing citizen’s health status, the current systems, policies, and services available to support health, and potential forces of change affecting citizen health and establishing strategic priorities for community health improvement; and
II. Much of the chronic disease burden is preventable and the underlying contributors to chronic diseases include unhealthy diet, lack of physical activity, and tobacco use; and
III. Community-wide action is necessary to improve health, including action by individuals, families, schools, employers and businesses, community groups, religious communities, and various agencies within government; and
IV. The Healthy Nashville Leadership Council has been successful in drawing community-wide attention to and encouraging ownership of important public health problems and their solutions.
1. Healthy Nashville Leadership Council: There is a Davidson County citizens’ council called the Healthy Nashville Leadership Council (hereinafter Council).
2. Council’s duties: The Council shall be charged with:
a. Assessing the health status and quality of life of Davidson County residents, assessing health systems that promote and support health, and assessing potential forces of change, and
b. Establishing strategic priorities and mobilizing collaborative and effective community initiatives to achieve improvements in health.
c. Assessing and promoting the consideration of the health impacts of programs and policies across the metropolitan government, [i.e., Health in All Policies]
3. Council members: The Council shall be composed of eighteen (18) members appointed by the Mayor.
a. One of the members shall be a member of the Metropolitan Board of Health; and
b. One of the members shall be the Director of Health or her/his designee.
c. Other appointees to the Council shall include, but not be limited to, representatives of health care organizations, community organizations, and other interested community members.
d. Members of the Council shall be appointed with a conscious intention of reflecting a diverse mixture with respect to race, ethnicity, gender, and age.
4. Terms for Council members:
a. With the exception of the Director of Health, the regular term of a member of the council shall be three (3) years.
b. However, of the initial membership of the Council, five (5) members will serve one (1) year, six (6) members will serve two (2) years, and six (6) members will serve three (3) years so that the terms are staggered as to replace no more than one third (1/3) of the members each year. [Note: The Mayor will designate the term length for each initial Council member at the time of appointment.]
c. Members of the Council shall continue in office until the expiration of the terms for which they were respectively appointed and until such time as their successors are appointed, unless a member is administratively removed from the Council pursuant to section 10 below.
5. Vacancies: A vacancy shall be filled in the same manner as a regular appointment.
6. Compensation: Members of the Council shall not be compensated for services rendered.
7. Chair: The Mayor shall appoint a chair from among the members.
8. Officers: The Council shall elect other officers as the Council finds necessary and appropriate.
9. Quorum: A quorum for approving decisions by the Council shall consist of a majority of the currently filled positions on the Council.
10. Removal of Members: A member who fails to attend three (3) or more meetings in a calendar year will cease to be a member absent a vote of retention by the Council.
11. Staff: The Metropolitan Public Health Department shall provide staff support for the Council.
ORDERED, EFFECTIVE AND ISSUED:
Metropolitan County Mayor
Date: February 24, 2016