An ordinance amending Chapter 5.04 of the Metropolitan Code of Laws to require disclosure of full cost itemizations prior to submission of capital expenditure authorization legislation to the Metropolitan Council.
WHEREAS, the citizens of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County are entitled to know how tax dollars fund capital projects; and,
WHEREAS, the Metropolitan Council desires to provide clarity regarding the appropriation process for capital project expenditure approvals; and,
WHEREAS, the adoption of this ordinance is in the best interest of the citizens of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ENACTED BY THE COUNCIL FOR THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY:
Section 1. That Chapter 5.04 of the Metropolitan Code is hereby amended by adding the following new Section 5.04.150:
5.04.150 Cost itemization for capital projects.
A. The department of finance shall develop a Capital Project Cost Itemization Form to be completed for all proposed capital projects with an estimated total value greater than $5,000,000.00. Such form shall itemize the present value full projected costs, allowing for local market cost escalation, including, but not limited to, the following costs, as applicable:
1. land acquisition;
2. environmental compliance;
3. temporary relocation;
4. architectural, engineering, and design;
6. furniture, fixture, and equipment;
7. infrastructure improvement;
8. new and supporting technology;
9. utility relocation and related costs;
10. estimated operating budget impact; and
11. other anticipated project costs.
B. The Capital Project Cost Itemization Form shall be completed by all departments, agencies, authorities, and other entities and delivered to the department of finance and the mayor for review prior to the inclusion of any capital project in an initial resolution required by Title 9, Chapter 21 of the Tennessee Code Annotated authorizing the issuance of bonds.
C. Any initial resolution required by Title 9, Chapter 21 of the Tennessee Code Annotated authorizing the issuance of bonds shall include:
1. an itemized list by categories of capital projects for which the bonds will be issued, and including a total amount not to be exceeded for each category;
2. an itemized list of each capital project for which the bonds will be issued that includes the Capital Improvements Budget project number and a total amount not to be exceeded for each capital project; and
3. a completed Capital Project Cost Itemization Form for each included capital project with an estimated total value greater than $5,000,000.00.
D. The requirements of Section 5.04.150(A)-(C) shall not apply to capital projects that are: (1) limited solely to preliminary project planning and/or feasibility costs; or (2) funded exclusively by an enterprise fund, water or sewer rates, or other fees paid to the metropolitan government.
Section 2. This Ordinance shall take effect from and after its final adoption, the welfare of the Metropolitan Government requiring it.
Bob Mendes, Ginny Welsch, Tonya Hancock, Kyonzté Toombs, Erin Evans, Zulfat Suara, Emily Benedict
IntroducedNovember 19, 2019
Passed First ReadingNovember 19, 2019
Referred toBudget and Finance Committee
Passed Second ReadingDecember 3, 2019
Passed Third ReadingDecember 17, 2019
ApprovedDecember 20, 2019
Requests for ADA accommodation should be directed to the Metropolitan Clerk at 615-862-6770.
Last Modified: 12/20/2019 1:57 PM