On the first Tuesday of each month, the Metropolitan Council holds public hearings regarding certain zoning legislation on the Council meeting agenda in the David Scobey Chamber at the Historic Metropolitan Courthouse. In the spirit of transparency and in order to hear from the public on issues important to them, twenty (20) minutes at the beginning of the second monthly Council meeting will be opened as a Public Comment Period. This time is dedicated to allow constituents to speak upon one matter important to them and the Nashville community.
Because zoning related matters are given dedicated public hearings at the Council, constituents will not be able to reserve time to speak on a zoning bill which has had or will have a public hearing. Constituents wishing to speak on a zoning bill are asked to appear at the public hearing on that particular zoning bill.
To give everyone an opportunity to participate in a Public Comment Period, constituents wishing to speak must sign-up in advance through the online sign-up form. Sign-up forms will be accepted and time slots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
At the Council Meeting on the Third Tuesday of every month, residents of Davidson County may reserve a two (2) minute time slot to speak upon one (1) topic of their choosing. Constituents may sign-up to speak at the Public Comment Period once every ninety (90) days. Twenty (20) minutes will be reserved for the Public Comment Period, allowing for up to ten (10) constituents to speak. These ten (10) time slots will be given out on a first-come, first-served basis. Please see the Guidelines tab for more information and details on the Public Comment Period, including requirements for the sign-up form, meeting night procedure, and other reminders. The general process for registering for a time slot is as follows:
- Fill out the online sign-up form (See “Sign-Up” tab on left side of this page)
- Council Office will confirm the receipt of the form submission.
- Council Office staff will notify constituents of their Public Comment Period date and position in the queue to speak that evening. Speaking dates and time slots will be given based solely upon the first completed sign-up forms received by the Council Office, unless the speaker has registered within the prior 90 days.
- Speakers should arrive at courthouse on their designated date by 5:30 p.m.
- Check-in at Public Comment Period desk on mezzanine beginning at 5:45 p.m.
- Provide any handouts or other written materials to Council Office staff
- Sit in designated area in the David Scobey Chamber until you are called to the lectern
Please be aware that the Public Comment Period is a pilot program. The program may be discontinued at any time at the discretion of the Presiding Officer or the Council.