Skip to Content

Exhibit: 8th Avenue Reservoir and Reyer Pumping Station 130 Years

9-17-2019
12:00 PM - 4:00 PM

Now through September 27 stop by the Fort Negley Visitors Center to check out the exhibit marking the 130th anniversary of the George Reyer Pumping Station and Eighth Avenue Reservoir.

Completed in 1889 the pumping station and reservoir, two of the largest components of Nashville’s water treatment and distribution system, are an important part of Nashville’s history and are still in use today.

The pumping station, built of limestone rock and handmade brick, originally pumped water from the Cumberland River to the reservoir for settling prior to distribution to the community. Named the George Reyer Pumping Station in 1932, after long time superintendent, it remains in operation today as part of the Omohundro Water Treatment Plant, which treats up to 90 million gallons of water a day.

The City Reservoir, now known as the Eighth Avenue Reservoir, remains the largest of Metro Water Services 37 reservoirs, holding up to 51 million gallons of water. It is divided into two compartments, each with a capacity of 25.5 million gallons. Originally, raw water was pumped from the Cumberland River to the reservoir where mud from the river was allowed to settle out before the water was distributed. Although no longer used as a settling basin, the reservoir is still in use today to store clean water, treated at one of Nashville’s two treatment plants, for distribution to Metro Water Services’ 205,000 customers.

Location

Fort Negley Visitors Center
1100 Fort Negley Boulevard
Nashville, TN 37203

Get Driving Directions