21st-Broadway-Division Street Intersection and Pedestrian Enhancement Project Traffic Pattern Change During Construction
Traffic Pattern Change Begins Wednesday, May 13
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Metro Nashville Public Works is in the construction phase of the 21st Avenue-Broadway-Division Street intersection and Pedestrian Enhancement Project. This complete street project provides an opportunity to improve pedestrian and vehicular safety and operation through this intersection.
Beginning tomorrow, the traffic pattern in this area will shift to allow work to continue. While the roads will remain open to traffic, stop signs will be installed to direct traffic left or right onto 21st Avenue South and police will be on duty directing traffic during the day when heavier traffic volumes exist. Message boards will also be in place to advise travelers of new traffic pattern.
Improvements to the intersections include:
- Closing the existing Division Street slip lane at 21st Avenue.
- Modifying the existing island to construct a right turn lane from 21st Ave onto Division Street.
- Installing pedestrian crossings & traffic signal at the intersection of Broadway & Division Street and new pedestrian crossings & traffic signal at the intersection 21st Avenue & Broadway.
- Realigning the intersection of 21st Avenue & Broadway to improve pedestrian safety and vehicle operations.
- Adding 2 landscaped areas at the realigned 21st Avenue.
- MTA enhancement of the transit stop at the new 21st Avenue/Broadway intersection.
- Rebuilding the existing traffic signals at 21st & Grand along with 21st & Scarritt Place.
Travelers navigating through this area on foot, bike, or by vehicle are asked to use caution. These traffic shifts are expected to be in place for the next 3 months.
Please refer to the attached map for affected streets and area. Metro Public Works staff will continue to evaluate the project area to determine if any additional changes are warranted.
More information about this project is available at: http://www.nashville.gov/Public-Works/Capital-Projects/21st-Broadway-Division-Pedestrian-Enhancement.aspx