Battle of the Badges set for July 13, 2015
The 2015 Battle of the Badges is just around the corner. Last year at the 2014 Battle of the Badges your Davidson County Sheriff’s Office led the way with 273 pints donated out of the 530 total pints. For the first time since the Battle was launched in 2009 the totals topped 500 pints donated. We hope this growth continues and please remember these facts about blood needs:
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- More than 41,000 blood donations are needed every day.
- A total of 30 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is Type O.
- The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.
- Sickle cell disease affects more than 70,000 people in the U.S. About 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year. Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- More than 1.6 million people were diagnosed with cancer last year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
Check the American Red Cross website for more facts
Please come out and join us on Monday July 13, 2015 at LP Field, 8 am. If you would like to donate, you can do so on the behalf of one of the following agencies: Metro Police, Nashville Fire or the perennial winner of the event, the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office! (WINNER of the Battle of the Badges: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014) We look forward to see you out there, supporting your community and saving lives!