Metro Action Head Start Program Joins National Celebration of the Week of the Young Child
Nashville—Today the Metropolitan Action Commission Head Start Program joined in the celebration of the Week of the Young Child.
Week of the Young Child, which is celebrated nationally from April 6 to April 12, honors young children and all those that make a difference in children's lives. The Week of the Young Child is coordinated nationally by the National Association of the Education of Young Children.
The Metro Action Head Start program will host events throughout the week that are designed to celebrate the children and their families through a “learn through play” concept. Although there are daily activities planned each day at all seven Head Start locations, below is a list of highlighted events scheduled throughout the week:
Monday, April 7
- Richland Head Start (5900 Charlotte Pike, 37209) Embracing Diversity. Each classroom was assigned a different part of the world to explore through fun and play. Today the children will dress up in attire worn in that country and wave their handmade flag representing that country for a the “Parade of Nations” throughout the center.
Tuesday, April 8
- Frederick Douglass Head Start Center (621 Howerton Street), Encouraging Health and Fitness . The staff and children will participate in Zumba for Children to encourage healthy movement through dancing.
- Susan Gray Head Start (445 Cotton Lane, 37211), Crazy Hat and Community Partners Day. Our community partners from the Metro Nashville Police Department and the Metro Nashville Fire Department will visit the children and join in the fun of creating hats with all kinds of fun designs.
Wednesday, April 9
- North Head Start (1624 5th Avenue North, 37208) We're Not Only Pretty, but We Taste Good Too!. Children, staff and parents will enjoy a demonstration by the students of Tennessee State University's College of Agriculture Program. Students will tell the children about the importance of vegetables, followed by the children planting carrot seeds. (10:00 a.m.-12 noon.)
- Tom Joy Head Start Center (1901 Lischey Avenue, 37207) Super Sports Day. Children will enjoy a day enjoying outdoor sports activities as well as playing classic games with their parents such as Red Light-Green Light and Simon Says. Each class will create a class banner and have a center wide parade! Students will receive medals, ribbons and stickers for their participation.
- Dudley Head Start (1203 3rd Avenue North, 37208) Teaching and Teachers Matter. The teachers will perform a special skit for their students! The teachers will dress up as characters from the popular child stories, “My Lucky Day” and “Scat the Cat”
Thursday, April 10
- Berry Head Start (2233 Winford Avenue, 37211, just off Nolensville Road near I-440) A Visit by the Mounted Patrol. The children will be visited by the Metro Nashville Police Department Mounted Patrol Unit. The children will hear what it takes to care for the horses and how the officer and horse work together to keep us safe. (9:30 a.m.-12 noon)
Friday, April 18
- Program Wide Field Day at all Head Start locations. Each center will have fun outdoor activities that promote health and fitness of children and families. The Head Start program promotes healthy choices and activities for children and families. Many parent volunteers will be on hand to participate in this day of fun.
For information about covering the 2014 Week of the Young Child events held at any Metro Action Commission Head Start location, please contact Lisa McCrady at (615) 862-8860, Ext. 70144 or (615) 566-4710 (cell).