Metro Arts Announces Learning Lab
Metro Arts is pleased to announce we are launching a FREE artist training program called the Learning Lab. The Learning Lab is a professional development program designed to train artists in civic, public, social and placemaking practices. This program will help artists deepen their knowledge around community-based work and create capacity for neighborhood activation through the arts.
The Lab curriculum is designed and will be presented by national art leader and artist Michael Rohd of the Center for Performance and Civic Practice, currently based in Chicago, Metro Arts, the Arts and Business Council of Greater Nashville and local subject matter experts. The training will explore fundamentals in community engagement, placemaking and public art project management. Through a series of lectures, individual assessment exercises, group activities and one-on-one coaching, artists will:
- Explore public, civic and social artistic practices;
- Examine how to build authentic community partnerships through a practice of listening;
- Engage community partners in change efforts reflecting community-defined needs;
- Learn how to successfully expand their studio practice to include social and civic practices, create competitive proposals and present their work;
- Explore project management, budgeting, contracts, fabrication and more.
The Learning Lab training sessions will take place between June and October 2016. Artists who complete this training will be eligible to apply for up to $5,000 in funds for a neighborhood-based art project. The Learning Lab is supported by the National Endowment for the Arts.
The artist application is available on our web site and will close on Monday, April 4th at noon. Metro Arts will hold several public information sessions to assist artists with their applications and/or answer questions about the training program. Those dates and times can be found on our Learning Lab web site. The first one is Wed., Feb. 24, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at The Hop Shop (2909 Gallatin Pike, Suite B 37216). We’ll be adding at least two more info sessions in the coming weeks.