Stay up to date on Metro’s tornado response and recovery efforts with our Storm Response Information page.

Stay up to date on Metro’s COVID-19 Coronavirus response.

Skip to Content

Federal Grant Allows Families with Higher Incomes to Qualify for Help with Utility Payments

Lisa McCrady (615) 566-4710 or (615)862-8860, Ext 70144

More Davidson County residents may qualify for help with utility payments due to the COVID-19 National Emergency.

The Metropolitan Action Commission was given approval to increase the allowable income limits in order to qualify more families for assistance with their utility payments. The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides one-time assistance to cover the cost of utility payments.

“Some households have lost all income or had a reduction in pay due to either the March tornado, COVID 19 or both. We are grateful that more residents will qualify for help which will hopefully be one less concern on the minds of our customers,” said Cynthia Croom, Executive Director of Metro Action.

To apply for help Davidson County residents should complete an application available on the agency’s webpage ( or at their drop box location at their main office (800 2nd Avenue North, 37201). Customers may also call the office (615-862-8860, ext 70100) to request an application to be sent by mail or request by e-mail (

New Low Income Home Energy Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) FY 2019-20 Income Guidelines

Members in Household/Annual Household Income Limit

  • 1: $22,843
  • 2: $29,971
  • 3: $36,900
  • 4: $43,928
  • 5: $50,956
  • 6: $57,985
  • 7: $65,013
  • 8: $72,041

Please attach copies of the following documents:

  • All applicants (meaning the head of the household applying for service) must provide a (valid) government-issued identification. Government-issued identification includes, but is not limited to Driver’s License, Passport, State or Federal Identification Card, Military ID, Birth Certificate, Voters Registration Card.
  • Current, Active Bill and 12- month bill usage history from energy supplier i.e. Nashville Electric Service, Piedmont Natural Gas, etc. (call energy provider to receive or we can assist)
  • Current proof of income for all members of household for the past 4 weeks (Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Department of Human Services award letter, Child Support, Payroll Check Stubs (employment)- (2 pay stubs if paid bi-weekly or 4 paystubs if paid weekly). If you our someone in the home doesn’t have income there is a form online to complete.
  • Social Security Cards verification for all household members

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program is funded through a federal passthrough grant from the Tennessee Housing and Development Agency.